WnSoft Forums

dvd-video ony converts audio, and other probs

m.c.candebat

I recently purchased pte 5.5. I created a slideshow easily and with out problems. However, when I click on the Video button( or go under File burn dvd-video or create AVI )in the control panel and go through the steps to create a dvd-video OR AVI file, it only converts the audio. I am pressuming this is human error so if anyone has come across this please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Secondly, I started another slideshow(I only need computer version) and now I am having other problems. First problem: Only the first couple of slides do the conversion effect I have seleced, the others do not. I attempted selecting all slides and applying. The preview box in the software window shows the conversions correctly, but the preview button on the control panel does not. Second problem: Preview skips images. Once again, this only happens in the Preview option on the tool bar.

Please Help. I am at my wits end and about to pull my hair out!

Hi Connie,

Welcome to the PTE Forum. I'm sure that the collective knowledge and experience of the forum members will help you solve your problems.

I'm afraid I cannot help with your first problem as "I don't do DVDs". However, have you downloaded and studied the User Guide? There are two such manuals: the official one that is available via the Help command and an unofficial one that is available via the Tutorials part of this forum. I would recommend that you take time out to study both of them.

Now to your second problem:

Secondly, I started another slideshow(I only need computer version) and now I am having other problems. First problem: Only the first couple of slides do the conversion effect I have seleced, the others do not. I attempted selecting all slides and applying. The preview box in the software window shows the conversions correctly, but the preview button on the control panel does not. Second problem: Preview skips images. Once again, this only happens in the Preview option on the tool bar.

Your terminology is confusing me a little. There are the following ways of running a full-screen preview (one in which the PTE window itself disappears whilst the slideshow runs):

- from the Preview button on the lower tool bar in the main window

- from the Preview button on the lower tool bar in the Objects & Animation (O&A) window

- from the File...Preview command on the command line

- via the F5 key

They should all have an identical behaviour.

There is also the "mini-player" within the main window. This runs a preview within that part of the main software window. The behaviour of your slideshow should be the same when running here; but obviously at a much reduced size.

There is one other button that has a kind of "preview" effect. That is the Play button on the lower tool bar of the O&A window. This show only the animations on a single slide.

To get a better understanding of where your show is having problems I suggest you go into Project Options and make the following changes:

- on the Main tab - tick the "Wait for a key press...." box

- on the Advanced tab - set the Mouse buttons to be "Next Slide" on the left button and "Previous Slide" on the right button.

Now Preview your show using the Preview button on the lower tool bar of the main window. You are now in control of when each slide begins to change by clicking the left mouse button. You can use the right mouse button to step back up through the show to have another look at a particular transition. (Note: if you have music accompanying the slides you might want to remove it temporarily until we've got the problems with the images sorted out.

In this manual mode, do your transitions behave as you want them to? Please report back.

regards,

Peter

Hi Connie,

Please go to the start button then left click. Now left click on "run" and type in "dxdiag" (omit the quotations) and then click on O.K. After the diagnostic runs click on the System tab and report the findings then on the Display tab and report the findings.

This will tell us about your hardware configuration and resources.

It sounds as if perhaps you are trying to use larger images such as original captures from a digital camera which are exceeding your resources in terms of the video card and/or RAM. This all has to do with the problem of not seeing transitions (which is what I assume you mean by "conversions").

You may want to downsample a copy of your images for testing to something around 1024x768 and try the same PTE file with them and see what happens.

As for Video builder giving you sound but no images, this could have several causes but first let's find out about your resources then we will address the video situation.

Best regards,

LIn

I recently purchased pte 5.5. I created a slideshow easily and with out problems. However, when I click on the Video button( or go under File burn dvd-video or create AVI )in the control panel and go through the steps to create a dvd-video OR AVI file, it only converts the audio. I am pressuming this is human error so if anyone has come across this please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Please Help. I am at my wits end and about to pull my hair out!

Hi Connie,

Welcome to the PTE Forum. I'm sure that the collective knowledge and experience of the forum members will help you solve your problems.

I'm afraid I cannot help with your first problem as "I don't do DVDs". However, have you downloaded and studied the User Guide? There are two such manuals: the official one that is available via the Help command and an unofficial one that is available via the Tutorials part of this forum. I would recommend that you take time out to study both of them.

Now to your second problem:

Your terminology is confusing me a little. There are the following ways of running a full-screen preview (one in which the PTE window itself disappears whilst the slideshow runs):

- from the Preview button on the lower tool bar in the main window

- from the Preview button on the lower tool bar in the Objects & Animation (O&A) window

- from the File...Preview command on the command line

- via the F5 key

They should all have an identical behaviour.

There is also the "mini-player" within the main window. This runs a preview within that part of the main software window. The behaviour of your slideshow should be the same when running here; but obviously at a much reduced size.

There is one other button that has a kind of "preview" effect. That is the Play button on the lower tool bar of the O&A window. This show only the animations on a single slide.

To get a better understanding of where your show is having problems I suggest you go into Project Options and make the following changes:

- on the Main tab - tick the "Wait for a key press...." box

- on the Advanced tab - set the Mouse buttons to be "Next Slide" on the left button and "Previous Slide" on the right button.

Now Preview your show using the Preview button on the lower tool bar of the main window. You are now in control of when each slide begins to change by clicking the left mouse button. You can use the right mouse button to step back up through the show to have another look at a particular transition. (Note: if you have music accompanying the slides you might want to remove it temporarily until we've got the problems with the images sorted out.

In this manual mode, do your transitions behave as you want them to? Please report back.

regards,

Peter

Hey guys,

file size is my issue. My computer is just too bleeping slow. I was really hoping it wouldn't be, but I can convert easily. Thank you Lin for the Diagnostic run info.

Now my DVD slideshow images are smaller( I scanned thsoe images and intentionally only scanned them at 700x800 at 72ppi(realative considering they are old pics) so if you can come up with a quick fix for that that is just as easy, I will be forever greatful!

Hi Connie,

I need the information from the "Display" tab of dxdiag to help you with the Video Builder issue.

Best regards,

Lin

Hey guys,

file size is my issue. My computer is just too bleeping slow. I was really hoping it wouldn't be, but I can convert easily. Thank you Lin for the Diagnostic run info.

Now my DVD slideshow images are smaller( I scanned thsoe images and intentionally only scanned them at 700x800 at 72ppi(realative considering they are old pics) so if you can come up with a quick fix for that that is just as easy, I will be forever greatful!

Okay,

So I have completely read over the entire manual again hoping I missed something. And I read the tutorial about building DVD Video again. THis time I clicked preview in the AVI creator like tutorial said to do. The preview only plays audio and as it encodes, it only says encoding audio. I am down to the wire on this. I now have less than a week to finish it( it is for a birthday present) and I am on the verge of giving up and attempting to figure something else out. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Connie

Hi Connie,

Once again, we need to see the results of the dxdiag on the "Display" tab. Make a screen capture and post it or email it to me at:

lin@learntomakeslideshows.net

There are a number of reasons why video may not be seen. If you will create a zip using the "file" "create backup in zip" and post the zip file we can see what's going on. This could be as simple as a driver update or a missing codec but to help you further it's necessary to know your system and driver information provided by dxdiag.

Best regards,

Lin

Okay,

So I have completely read over the entire manual again hoping I missed something. And I read the tutorial about building DVD Video again. THis time I clicked preview in the AVI creator like tutorial said to do. The preview only plays audio and as it encodes, it only says encoding audio. I am down to the wire on this. I now have less than a week to finish it( it is for a birthday present) and I am on the verge of giving up and attempting to figure something else out. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Connie