WnSoft Forums

PTE 5.52 Problems with 'Comments' tab...

goddi

Greetings...

Using the 'Comments' tab, I added filenames to be shown. I have been getting some strange results. The text is blurry and larger that normal. Also, some of them are unreadable. I looked at other projects and made sure all the settings were the same, but it did not help.

So, I hit the 'Set Defaults' button on the Comments tab. Here is my next problem: I expected it to reset ONLY the settings on the Comments tab but it also removed all of the music I had set for the show and it reset the settings on Effects and most of the settings on the Main and Advanced tabs. This, I think might be a bug, or at least this should not happen. I think it should only affect the Comments tab's settings. Am I wrong about this?

Ok, so after hitting the 'Set Defaults' button, I added back the 'filename' setting in the Comments tab and the blurry and odd sized text for the filenames came back.

So, my 2 problems are:

1-The 'Set Defaults' button in Comments tab resets most everything else to default. It should be contained to just the Comments tab(?).

2-I can not get rid of this blurry, larger sized font for the Filename setting in the Comments tab.

Now.... Just before I sent this, I fiddled around a bit more and did something to get rid of this blurry, incorrect sized text. I just opened and closed the Comment window above the mini-player. I really hate when I fix something and don't know why it is fixed. Has anyone else had this problem???

Anyway, I'd still like to know if the Set Defaults button in the Comments tab is supposed to dump more settings than those in the Comments tab.... Thanks... Gary

Gary,

I like your problems. They're different to other peoples!

If you look at the way the Project Options pop-up window is laid out, the three buttons OK, Cancel and Set Defaults are on a bar across the bottom of the window. I think from that we can infer that they apply to the Project Options in their entirety.

Think of it from a different angle: if you make changes to some project options on two of the tabs and then change your mind, how many times do you need to click on Cancel? Just the once. If you make some changes on a couple of the tabs and want to accept them, how many times do you click on the OK button? Just the once.

So, what you experienced with the Set Defaults is in keeping with the logic of the other two buttons, isn't it?

regards,

Peter

Gary,

I like your problems. They're different to other peoples!

If you look at the way the Project Options pop-up window is laid out, the three buttons OK, Cancel and Set Defaults are on a bar across the bottom of the window. I think from that we can infer that they apply to the Project Options in their entirety.

Think of it from a different angle: if you make changes to some project options on two of the tabs and then change your mind, how many times do you need to click on Cancel? Just the once. If you make some changes on a couple of the tabs and want to accept them, how many times do you click on the OK button? Just the once.

So, what you experienced with the Set Defaults is in keeping with the logic of the other two buttons, isn't it?

regards,

Peter

Peter...

Yes I have a tendency to find/create problems that no one else has had. :unsure: You know, even though I have used PTE for years, I never really notice that the three buttons are the same at the bottom of each tab. Sort of, can't see the forest for the trees, syndrome!!!

I had never used the 'Set Defaults' button before. Now that you have opened my eyes, I see what you are saying. However, I still think that the resetting of any defaults with the 'Set Defaults' button should be contained in its own tab. What if I just wanted to do was to reset the defaults of the Comments tab (which is what I wanted to do)? It, however, reset all setting in all tabs and I had to go back and do a lot of work I did not intend to do.

Doesn't my idea make sense??? Gary

P.S. Any idea what cause the Filenames to get blurry?????????

Gary,

Your idea makes perfect sense. I was merely trying to explain what the current rationale might be.

Do you find that you tend to stick to pretty much the same Project Options settings in all of your shows, with only an occasional change away from your personal preferences?

Are you aware that you can set these personal preferences into an empty show and then save that as a Template and make it the default Template for all your shows?

regards,

Peter

P.S. Re your P.S. - Sorry, no idea! I've never used the Comments fields in any of my sequences. I would need to do some experimentation - and this weekend I have friends coming to visit so my time available for PTE problems is very limited. If it is still an open issue on Monday, I'll take a look into it.

Gary,

as Peter said: the Set Defaults Button never belongs to a particular tab. If you want to change your comments, you must do it in the comments tab. Changes will only be accepted if you press OK, and they do not always show up directly. In some cases you have to highlight a slide to see the effect.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

Gary,

as Peter said: the Set Defaults Button never belongs to a particular tab. If you want to change your comments, you must do it in the comments tab. Changes will only be accepted if you press OK, and they do not always show up directly. In some cases you have to highlight a slide to see the effect.

Best regards,

Xaver

Munich

====================

Yes, but my point is what if you make some changes to the settings and press OK. Then, you find out you want to just bring back the defaults of only the Comments tab and start again, without having to redo ALL the tabs.

This is why I think the Set Defaults should apply only to the tab you are in. Maybe add a separate 'Tab-only Set Default' button.

Gary

Gary,

Your idea makes perfect sense. I was merely trying to explain what the current rationale might be.

Do you find that you tend to stick to pretty much the same Project Options settings in all of your shows, with only an occasional change away from your personal preferences?

Are you aware that you can set these personal preferences into an empty show and then save that as a Template and make it the default Template for all your shows?

regards,

Peter

P.S. Re your P.S. - Sorry, no idea! I've never used the Comments fields in any of my sequences. I would need to do some experimentation - and this weekend I have friends coming to visit so my time available for PTE problems is very limited. If it is still an open issue on Monday, I'll take a look into it.

=======================

Peter... Yes, I use pretty much the same settings for starters on each PTE show. I have not tried the Template method but when I get some courage, I will try it. I try to keep things simple.

I use the Comments tab when I want to display the filenames or slide numbers while I am building the slideshow. It helps me in the editing process. It was just really strange how the text of the slide names became very blurry and in some cases, I could not even read it. I happened to click on the 'blur' just to see what would happen. But I took it off. Maybe it just went crazy for a while. Never happened before. I've been having other strange happenings and error messages while working with PTE so I reinstalled the program. I'll let it rest awhile and see what happens.

Thanks.. Gary

Hi Gary,

Did you by chance change the font or font size or set it to bold, etc.?? Any change that you make can be applied to all slides but won't be unless you click on set for existing slides. Also if you have inadvertently changed the drop shadow it could affect the text clarity.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

Did you by chance change the font or font size or set it to bold, etc.?? Any change that you make can be applied to all slides but won't be unless you click on set for existing slides. Also if you have inadvertently changed the drop shadow it could affect the text clarity.

Best regards,

Lin

========================

Lin,

Yes, I did play around with some of the settings; probably bold and drop shadow. However, that is why I selected the 'Set Default' hoping that would clear up anything I messed up in the Comments tab. And I did hit the 'Set for existing slides'. But, nothing cleared up the blurred filenames. It was really strange. The only thing that I did that I think might have cleared it up was I went to window just above the mini-player that has the Comments shown and I just opened it and closed it. Then, the problem disappeared. It just looks like the setting got stuck or something... :unsure:

Gary

Gary,

...I have not tried the Template method but when I get some courage, I will try it. I try to keep things simple...

To make a Template of an empty show that includes all your preferred settings is very easy. You just proceed as follows:

- Launch PTE and then do File---New and give the project a name such as "My Template"

- Next, work through the Project Options tabs making the changes to give the settings that you usually use

- Now, instead of saving the project you do: File---Templates---Create Template from this Show and give the template a name when it prompts you to do so

To make this template your default for all new projects, proceed as follows:

- In PTE, do File---Templates---Manage templates

- You get a pop-up window showing you the available template files

- Click on the big button across the bottom of this pop-up

- Select the template you have just created from the drop-down list

- Tick the box just above the button to confirm that this is your "Default template for new projects"

- Click on OK to accept these changes and close the pop-up window

- Exit PTE (there's no need to save the project as a project file)

Now, when you next launch PTE and open a new project, you should see that the project name being offered to you as the name for the new project is actually the name of the template that you've just created. You just overkey this as you have been doing all along - and away you go with your preferred settings already done for you.

You can create as many different templates as you want and can use "Manage templates" at any time to change the one that you want as the default for your new projects. Changing your default for new projects has no effect whatsoever on any existing project files.

Let me know how you get on with this. If you're able to follow these instructions with no problems, I'll turn them into an FAQ.

regards,

Peter

Gary,

To make a Template of an empty show that includes all your preferred settings is very easy. You just proceed as follows:

regards,...

Peter

===============

Peter.... Thanks. I gave it a try and it worked just fine. Thanks for the steps. I had never tried it before.

Gary