WnSoft Forums

On Vimeo - a little off-topic but....

Lin Evans

From Vimeo.....

For those of you who are sticking with the free account, here's the deal: you're going to have some new limitations. First of all, you'll only be able to upload one HD video per week. You will also be limited to creating 1 Group, 1 Channel and 3 Albums. It really does pain us to impose these limits, because we want you all to be happy, productive Vimeans, but we feel that if you're going to be a power user, you should help us keep Vimeo working by purchasing a Plus account. We appreciate your support more than you'll ever know. The good news is that you keep all of your existing Groups, Channels and Albums, even if you remain a free account user.

It looks like they are selling one year plans to allow only 1000 views of an HD video for about $60 per year. Restrictions on the free use as seen above. I'm not convinced with the present quality that it's really worth it for me. I can convert to Flash which actually plays smoother than the Vimeo HD with PTE output and store on my own site. Hard to say whether it's more or less economical to pay for conversion software and web storage space or use the @$60 per year subscription or just stay with the now limited to one HD video per week free version of Vimeo.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I have only just heard of Vimeo, I noticed it because it has been added to the latest version of PTE. I thought I would give it a try and attempted to create a HD video using the PTE options. I failed to achieve this because, quite honestly, I did not know what I was doing. Have you produced any kind of tutorial on making such a video and then publishing to Vimeo? I am sure that others might also appreciate such a tutorial.

Ron West

Hi Ron,

It's first necessary to go to vimeo.com and sign up to get a password and user I.D. Once you have that information, creating a show is a simple as clicking on that choice, putting in your information (once Igor has all the bugs worked out) and PTE will create the slideshow, upload it to Vimeo and after they convert it to Flash (takes a while depending on the size of show, time of day, etc.) it will appear on Vimeo. Likewise for Youtube. You need to sign up on Youtube.com and get the necessary password and user I.D. to place into the blocks when you ask PTE to create a Youtube show.

Vimeo let's you upload one high resolution video a week now unless you pay about $60 a year. Not worth it for me but others may want to do so. You should go to Vimeo and read up on all their different programs, etc. You can make your shows private or public, decide if you want to allow others to download the original mp4 or not, etc.

Once Igor has all the details ironed out I may make a quick tutorial, but it's really so easy to do that it may not be necessary but you do need to sign up with them before trying to upload a show through PTE.

Best regards,

Lin

When I decided to add support of Vimeo it was totally free (likewise Youtube). Sadly to hear about this restriction.

Igor,

The addition of VIMEO support is an excellent idea, in spite of the restriction of only allowing one HD upload per week. Please continue to support it, I am quite sure that PTE members will find it very useful.

Lin,

Thanks for the information on VIMEO. I have done as you suggest and am now able to upload without any problems. The quality is very good (much better than YOUTUBE). I am working on a small show that I will upload next week. I think that, because of the way Vimeo controls things, and the fact that there will be a small charge, will mean that people who choose to use it will get a much better service from them, i.e. there will not be any 'crap' uploaded. Time will tell!

Ron