WnSoft Forums

rolling text banner

stewmil

Hi Stew,

Could you be a little more specific about what you want to do? I'm not clear on the term "rolling text banner." Do you want text to scroll up or down or sideways? Is it the same text message for each slide? If you can explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish perhaps I can help sort it out.

Best regards,

Lin

I downloaded and watched...

He has sationary text in it... but i was looking for something else.

I really thought it was something simple and easy to do. I guess not. Or maybe I am not explaining what I was hoping for in details.

Let's reverse engineer the problem:

I use(d) the Windows Marquee screensaver: black background with any sentence rolling on the screen (i chose font size, color and speed). Great. Or perhaps not so great because of the black background.

So I bought P2Exe to have the SAME screensaver BUT with MY PICTURES in a slideshow as the text rolls.

Is that clear now? It is like a "way better" version of the Windows Marquee screensaver.

Having that in mind, will P2Exe 5.0 be able to deliver this??

If so, when is the release coming out??!! :D:D

Thanks guys!

Hi Stew,

Could you be a little more specific about what you want to do? I'm not clear on the term "rolling text banner." Do you want text to scroll up or down or sideways? Is it the same text message for each slide? If you can explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish perhaps I can help sort it out.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Thanks for your reply

What I`m basically looking for is something like the windows marquee screensaver in which I can insert text that will then scroll horizontally over all the slides in my slideshow ( not just an individual slide)

There was another post on the same topic but nothing since

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....l=crawling+text

Many thanks for your help

If I understand you correctly - is this what you want to do?

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sampl...rollingtext.zip

If so, there is no completely automated way to do it, but it's very easy to do. Just create your text and scrolling animation for the first slide. Copy the text then go to each slide in Objects and Animations and "Paste" the copied text. It only takes a few seconds to do even with a hundred slides. There are no current plans that I'm aware of to have this as an automated feature but you could suggest it on the forum for consideration by the development team.

Best regards,

Lin

If I understand you correctly - is this what you want to do?

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sampl...rollingtext.zip

If so, there is no completely automated way to do it, but it's very easy to do. Just create your text and scrolling animation for the first slide. Copy the text then go to each slide in Objects and Animations and "Paste" the copied text. It only takes a few seconds to do even with a hundred slides. There are no current plans that I'm aware of to have this as an automated feature but you could suggest it on the forum for consideration by the development team.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Thanks for your reply

That`s not quite what I`m looking for - it`s more of a news headline ticker that would scroll continuously across the slideshow while the images changed behind it

Many thanks

So what you want is a long text string which "spans" multiple slides. In this case it is "possible" to achieve but very tedious to program - not something for the faint of heart. It would involve duplicating the text string for each slide but having a different portion of the string at the beginning and end of the slide.

Something like this? (quick and dirty, but perhaps what you are looking for?)

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sampl...ollingtext2.zip

Best regards,

Lin

So what you want is a long text string which "spans" multiple slides. In this case it is "possible" to achieve but very tedious to program - not something for the faint of heart. It would involve duplicating the text string for each slide but having a different portion of the string at the beginning and end of the slide.

Something like this? (quick and dirty, but perhaps what you are looking for?)

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sampl...ollingtext2.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Yes that`s exactly what I`m looking for. Are there any tutorials that would show me how to do this?

Many thanks

Hi Stew,

To my knowledge, there are none. I have to leave for a few hours but when I return I'll see if I can create a tutorial to show you how to do it.

Essentially you write the script on the first slide in one long text string. Then you set the text string to the far right side to begin the scroll. Determine the number of slides you have and the length of the text string to see how many characters you actually want to scroll per slide. Once you have that determination made, then set your ending keyframe at the end of the slide duration and drag the text to the position where the last word for that portion of scroll will appear on the right side. Copy the text and paste to each of your slides then begin the scroll on the second slide at the same horizontal position you finished for the first slide. Repeat this process for each slide so that at the last slide you scroll the text off the screen to your left as you view the monitor.

Use "quick, no transition" for each slide to avoid interruptions due to transitions. It's "easier" if the display time is equal for each slide.

I'll try to formalize this in a tutorial when I return this afternoon...

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Stew,

To my knowledge, there are none. I have to leave for a few hours but when I return I'll see if I can create a tutorial to show you how to do it.

Essentially you write the script on the first slide in one long text string. Then you set the text string to the far right side to begin the scroll. Determine the number of slides you have and the length of the text string to see how many characters you actually want to scroll per slide. Once you have that determination made, then set your ending keyframe at the end of the slide duration and drag the text to the position where the last word for that portion of scroll will appear on the right side. Copy the text and paste to each of your slides then begin the scroll on the second slide at the same horizontal position you finished for the first slide. Repeat this process for each slide so that at the last slide you scroll the text off the screen to your left as you view the monitor.

Use "quick, no transition" for each slide to avoid interruptions due to transitions. It's "easier" if the display time is equal for each slide.

I'll try to formalize this in a tutorial when I return this afternoon...

Best regards,

Lin

Ok Lin

Many thanks for your help

Only if it were possible to display two executable shows simultaneously in the same video space. Igor has programmed the ability to run many shows as "one large show" with beta 8 but there is no way to actually "view" two shows simultaneously. Whether this "could" be accomplished with changes to the PTE code or not I have no clue but right now to my knowledge it's not possible.

I think there may be another way to approach this and that is by placing additional slide in the Object's list rather than in the slide list. Then the slides could be controlled by dropping the opacity to zero while leaving the text scrolling at a speed which ends with the last slide. I'll put up a demo of this way....

Here's a sample of this way:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sampl...ollingtext3.zip

I'm not certain how many slides you could use in your show subject to hardware limitations but it is "smoother" this way...

Lin

Best regards,

Lin

Would there be a way to have two PTE shows running simultaneously with a mask technique allowing only the rolling text to be showing from one show onto the other show which occupies the bulk of the screen?

Hi Lin

Thanks for your reply

That`s not quite what I`m looking for - it`s more of a news headline ticker that would scroll continuously across the slideshow while the images changed behind it

Many thanks

Actually, it wouldn't be too difficult to set up for a screen saver with a reasonable number of pictures. Here's what I did. Create a single slide that is set to some long duration (maybe 30 seconds). It should just be an empty black slide (or whatever single background color you might want). Then add a mask to the slide (I used a plain white jpg file) which covers the slide. Then insert a picture inside the mask. Now create 3 key frames for the picture object inside the mask. The first would be 0 opacity, the second 100 opacity and the third 0 opacity again. This has the effect of slowly fading the picture in and out. Now copy the mask object (make sure the background picture is selected so all masks are children of the original slide/picture object. Select a second picture by clicking on the image in the second mask object and choosing a different photo. Now move the keypoints for the second mask object to the right. For example, my keypoints for the first photo were 0, 4 seconds, 8 seconds. So I put the second key points at 8, 12, and 16 seconds. Create additional copies of your mask and modify the photo and keyframes in a similar fashion until you use up all the time you originally designated for the slide itself.

Now select / highlight your original black image object and insert a text object and put your message in it. Then create 3 keyframes for that object -- say one all the way off the slide to the right, one centered over the slide and a third all the way off the screen to the left. This would have the effect of scrolling your text from left to right. Then you can add additional key frames to the text and move it lower on the slide or higher or bring it in from left to right or whatever. Alternatively, you could add multiple text objects which contain different text or different colors of text or whatever.

Once you are happy with this single slide, you can then go back out to your slide list and copy/paste it as many times as you wish. Then you would go into each object and simply pick different images for each of the mask objects. You can also change the text in each copy of the slide or leave it alone. This way, you could have a nice little screen saver with only a copy of slides that does what I THINK you are asking for. Of course, if you like the idea and want to get really fancy, you could even zoom each of the masks in from a different corner, or from top or bottom or whatever for some really interesting effects.

Here's a simple demo pte file.

MaryScreenSaverPTE.zip

Hi Stew,

Here's the PTE file so you can look at it. This way will work best if you don't have too many slides. In essence what happens is you place the first slide on the slide list and subsequent slides on the Objects List in Objects and animations.

You create the text on the first slide and determine how long you want to run the show based on the number of slides and time per slide. In my example I have chosen four slides and a total time of 40 seconds. So set the time for the first slide to 40 seconds, create the text string and position it at the far right just outside the viewable area at the desired vertical position.

Place a keyframe at the very end of slide one and drag your text completely across and off the screen to your left for this keyframe. Be sure the "right" number of the two pan numbers is the same for the start and finish to assure that your text is level for the complete scroll.

Next create a keyframe at about 10 seconds and set the opacity on slide one to zero at this point. Create a second keyframe just to the left of the 10 second position and set the opacity to 100%. The distance to the left will determine the timing for the fade.

Next go to slide two and place a keyframe at 10 seconds and a second at 20 seconds. Set the 20 second keyframe to zero opacity then create an new keyframe just to the left and set it to 100%.

So far you have begun the text scroll, scrolled it for slide one, faded slide one out with zero opacity which will automatically reveal slide two. The scroll continues automatically and at 20 seconds you have faded out slide two and revealed slide three, etc. The keyframe just in front of the 20 second mark keeps the opacity at 100% for slide two and lets it fade to zero at the 20 second mark and reveal slide three. Do the same for slide three by setting a keyframe at 30 seconds with opacity set to zero and create a keyframe just before the 30 second time with opacity set to 100%. This will reveal the last object (slide) and you can also fade it out if you wish at the end with the same keyframe sequence.

Here's the PTE file to use as a sample. The caveat is to not try to do this with too many slides or you will run into memory issues eventually.

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sampl...ingtext3pte.zip

and here's the zipped executable sample:

Best regards,

Lin

Hi There

I`m wanting to insert a rolling text banner across all my slides in a slideshow, but I can`t see any way to do this. In a previous post someone mentioned that this facility would be available in ver 5.6, but I can`t find anything

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated

Hi Mary,

What he wants to do is scroll a single long text string across multiple slides. There are a couple ways to do this depending on the number of slides. The "easiest" way is to simply put the first slide on the slide list and subsequent slides on the Objects list then create the text string, set the timing long enough to display all slides, use opacity to switch in the different slides and run the text at 100% opacity for all like this:

Obviously, eventually there will be memory issues so not for huge slide sets....

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Stew,

Here's the PTE file so you can look at it. This way will work best if you don't have too many slides. In essence what happens is you place the first slide on the slide list and subsequent slides on the Objects List in Objects and animations.

You create the text on the first slide and determine how long you want to run the show based on the number of slides and time per slide. In my example I have chosen four slides and a total time of 40 seconds. So set the time for the first slide to 40 seconds, create the text string and position it at the far right just outside the viewable area at the desired vertical position.

Place a keyframe at the very end of slide one and drag your text completely across and off the screen to your left for this keyframe. Be sure the "right" number of the two pan numbers is the same for the start and finish to assure that your text is level for the complete scroll.

Next create a keyframe at about 10 seconds and set the opacity on slide one to zero at this point. Create a second keyframe just to the left of the 10 second position and set the opacity to 100%. The distance to the left will determine the timing for the fade.

Next go to slide two and place a keyframe at 10 seconds and a second at 20 seconds. Set the 20 second keyframe to zero opacity then create an new keyframe just to the left and set it to 100%.

So far you have begun the text scroll, scrolled it for slide one, faded slide one out with zero opacity which will automatically reveal slide two. The scroll continues automatically and at 20 seconds you have faded out slide two and revealed slide three, etc. The keyframe just in front of the 20 second mark keeps the opacity at 100% for slide two and lets it fade to zero at the 20 second mark and reveal slide three. Do the same for slide three by setting a keyframe at 30 seconds with opacity set to zero and create a keyframe just before the 30 second time with opacity set to 100%. This will reveal the last object (slide) and you can also fade it out if you wish at the end with the same keyframe sequence.

Here's the PTE file to use as a sample. The caveat is to not try to do this with too many slides or you will run into memory issues eventually.

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sampl...ingtext3pte.zip

and here's the zipped executable sample:

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

That`s great

Many thanks for your help - greatly appreciated

Regards

Stew