WnSoft Forums

P2E 5.6 Betas Marked Increase in Instability

sanewcomb

I've just completed a major project using two beta versions of 5.6 (beta 7 and 10) and noticed a marked increase in the instability of the code. For the first time ever, the program hit an abrupt halt and vanished from the screen. No error messages. Whatever caused that is a major failure in error checking code in the program.

It has also crashed several other times leaving error messages like the one attached to this post. I'm sorry that I can not provide exact details of what was going on when these errors occurred, except they happened using P2E and not the video program. I have not been able to burn a successful disk using the video program and have given up for now. I find it odd how a free 650kb ISO burning program (suggested by P2E video after failure) accomplished the task with no issues.

The only other thing I can add is I work pretty fast and have an intensive iterative process to set up each slide and sync to music. I am constantly going in and out of O&A, preview, moving key points, etc. Perhaps the problem is related to timing problems in how the program handles different tasks or subroutines, and transfers the handles back and forth as they are started and ended.

On a totally different issue, I don't understand all the interest and postings on the new low res output features, or in other words how to take your beautiful high quality presentation and reduce it to average or subpar quality. The last thing I think about after completing a show is uploading it to YouTube. Wish the programmers would return to elements of the program that either directly affect the quality of full screen shows (like the loss of precision JPD has brought up) or user workflow problems. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to bring the default settings up to basic standards for things like which file directory appears in different areas of the program once the project directory is chosen, or after restarts, or remembering font settings once they are chosen. Not big issues, but when doing 100 slides it gets tiring to keep doing the same thing over and over again. There are also long standing problems that seem like will never be fixed, like the incorrect aspect ratio in creating standard DVD disks and full support for JPEG captions like IPTC text.

I fully support and appreciate WnSoft's aggressive development philosophy, just think they have lost their focus somewhat in this latest version.

Sincerely,

Steve Newcomb

Tucson, AZ USA

post-2938-1228488884_thumb.jpg

Steve,

First, please try newest Beta 13 where we fixed many discovered problems and bugs. Please be patient it's a beta version and beta-testing. I will grateful you if you could find time try latest Beta 13.

Jean-Pierre confirmed (if I understood him rightly) that precision enough high in recent beta versions. This issue was related to Original mode only which we now emulate in Position/Size tool window. Also in future Beta 14 we added almost full simulation of Original mode and it will possible see and edit values like you did for Original size objects in previous versions.

You wrote about problem with burning. I'm guessing it happens not only with v5.6 Beta, but with previous versions? Because we didn't change burning libary in the new version. Since v5.5 we receive much less reports on problem with burning (one or two in month). But I'm afraid it's impossible to fix all cases because even famous Nero Burning software has similar problems with some DVD drives. Microsoft didn't provide simple and fully functional API for burning. And we have access only to low level API like writting of own drivers for a device that caused all such problems.

Youtube also can be useful for some users. Please don't forget some people say no need in DVD-Video, other users say we will not run EXE files, others say we don't use computers and digital cameras for photography :) There are many opinions.

Hi Steve,

Betas, as you know, are for ferreting out bugs - use cautiously for production work until all known issues are resolved, especially when current beta is at 13 and you are seeing issues with relatively early beta.

Many of us absolutely prefer superb quality executable shows, but the market demands online content such as Vimeo and Youtube. To keep up with market demands and continue to sell product it's necessary for the developers to serve both camps. As you know, without sales there can be no development and improvement so......

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Jean-Pierre confirmed (if I understood him rightly) that precision enough high in recent beta versions. This issue was related to Original mode only which we

I haven't followed the entire thread JPD brought up, but I understood one of his last posts in the inherent problem in using %percent calculations over actual pixel dimensions in the math behind the presentation and scaling. But in fairness to you I think I also understand to some degree the coding difficulties brought about by using a 3D model and engine for displaying and moving 2D images. It seems to me like a real delimma. For my purposes the image resolution/precision is high enough, but I don't do the type of shows that JPD does that apparently require or benefit from a true 1:1 mapping/scaling.

You wrote about problem with burning. I'm guessing it happens not only with v5.6 Beta, but with previous versions?

Yes, it has been a problem for some time with the VideoBuilder. Seems to come and go with different versions/betas. I don't burn DVDs all that often, but when I do it seems like less than 50% chance of success across all 5.x versions, and the errors range across the spectrum (ie many different errors).

...... Since v5.5 we receive much less reports on problem with burning (one or two in month). But I'm afraid it's impossible to fix all cases because even famous Nero Burning software has similar problems with some DVD drives.

Good that few people are reporting problems. It is not a big problem for me since I don't use P2E much for DVD movie slideshows and I have work arounds. My real interest and joy is in the full res P2E EXE shows, so don't worry about it much.

Youtube also can be useful for some users. Please don't forget some people say no need in DVD-Video, other users say we will not run EXE files, others say we don't use computers and digital cameras for photography :) There are many opinions.

True enough about opinions and desires. It just seems this development is at cross purposes with your program and I can't see this feature bringing in that many new users. In other words, if a person who uses YouTube a lot to communicate with their friends, they are not likely to want to spend much time crafting and creating an AV slideshow. There are a lot of slideshow products that will make a YouTube video of the same quality of P2E's YouTube output, and do it with far less time/effort. I would think more effort on advertising, marketing and distribution by WnSoft may yield higher sales. But that is just the opinion of one avid user who has always appreciated the very high visual quality of P2E slideshows above everything else.

Steve Newcomb

Tucson, AZ USA

Steve,

If you allow, we'll send you special test version with updated version of DVD burning library. It may helps.

However there should be no problem with precision even if we use 3D mode for projection of 2D images. DirectX is aware of this requirement. User interface in Windows Vista works through Direct3D mode.

The only limitation: "Edge antialiasing" option should be turned off for image objects if you make one large virtual object from several image objects).

Steve,

Are you still using the same burner and not updated your burner firmware ?

I remember quite so me time ago in a post you did not feel it was not needed due to your old programs burned discs just fine. Firmware updates are somewhat like driver updates ... to keep up with the times your pc and components need to know and use new configurations to support the latest technolgy being used and developed today.