WnSoft Forums

Windows 7

JEB

Hi,

From what I have been reading in the press recently it looks like Windows 7 is getting closer to release. My understanding is that it is being released in a Beta form imminently and that it is projected for general release early in 2010.

I would appreciate confirmation of my understanding of the significance of Windows 7 from those of you who are close to this topic.

In layman terms, I understand that it is not just a simple evolution from Vista but should be, what Vista was intended to be but failed to live up to.

If this is a reasonable analysis then presumably those of us who have stuck with XP should hang on for another year, or more realistically, two years before upgrading our hardware.

I believe that 7 will be less memory demanding than Vista so surely this is also good news, though no doubt our beloved Microsoft and PC manufacturers will cook up some other reason for us to have to purchase new kit in order to run the software.

This will also, as I see it, have an impact on the decision as to whether or not (or perhaps more realistically - when) to upgrade to Service Pack 3.

Views and opinions on how this will impact on PTE and of course Photoshop, which is presumably the most important other product used by a large proportion of our community, would be interesting.

Regards

John

Hi John,

With the current economic climate, microsoft will be hard pressed to force another operating system on to consumers. todays news that Dell are cutting 1500 jobs in Ireland.

I have a relative that works for Dixons here in the uk, they are finding things tough also. sales in computers have plummeted in recent months, software and hardware is now cheaper than ever but prices are not having much effect on sales. So maybe microsoft might rethink depending on what happens for the rest of the year economically.

Many people are still using win98 let alone XP.

I am using vista, only because I had to buy a new computer and so it was forced on me, ok I could of removed Vista and loaded XP but I find vista ok so I for one will not be shouting fron the rooftops with glee that microsoft are releasing a new op system.

I have trawelled the web for information and it seems that the new system will not effect photoshop etc and Im sure as usual software manufacturers will update drivers as and when. PTE in Igors hands will be fine also.

Ralph

Guest Yachtsman1
SEE

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/090108/

Microsoft has acknowledged that it will allow system builders to pay for installed copies of XP through May 30, rather than shutting down the pipeline this month.

KEN

Hi Ken

In the UK PC World biggest uK retailer were selling a notebook with an 8inch screen 180gb h/drive 1.8gb ram with XP pre-installed at Christmas for £199.00.!!!!

Yachtsman1

Microsoft has started public beta testing of Windows 7 today.

We've tried it. The installation took about 20 minutes and it seems that everything works fine. My first impression that Windows 7 operates even faster than Windows XP in many cases, let alone Vista. Many people on forums publish similar reports.

I didn't find problems with PicturesToExe 5.6 Beta nor with slideshows, excluding one problem with displaying of non-English user interface in the main window of PicturesToExe. Probably it's my fault with new or modified regional settings of operation system. PicturesToExe starts in two times faster under Windows 7 than with XP.

Windows 7 even in Beta version defenitely works MUCH faster than Windows Vista SP1.

Various intersting features such as new Superbar instead of Taskbar.

Igor,

That's very encouraging news.

I'm sure everybody appreciates that you have shared this news with us and so promptly, particularly those of us who have been fortunate enough in not having had to make the move to Vista.

I for one put a great deal of faith in this wonderful Forum led by you and your colleagues and of course the input from a number of leading members, whom I will not mention by name, in case I miss someone - but we all know who they are.

Perhaps MS have at last got it right!!!

Here's hoping.

Regards

John