WnSoft Forums

Panoramic Pictures

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

I am still expeimenting with Adobe Photoshop Elements 5, actually bought a very good book that I could actually follow & understand. I thought I would have a go at panoramic pictures, stitching 2 or 3 shots together. However if I did try the ge'nre I wouldn't be printing the results due to costs etc, but maybe using them in PTE.

Well after all that waffle if I do stitch 3 x 1024x768 sized pictures together, what size do I use for Pte to acheive a nice long pan? 1024x768 or 3072x768??? or forget stiching and use 3 separate slides faded into each other.

Yachtsman1 :blink:

When you are taking images to be used in a panorama they need to be overlapping by a considerable amount i.e. 25% or more so the resulting panorama after stitching 3 (768 high) images together is likely to be around 1300x768 - bearing in mind that when shooting for panoramas portrait format is the best option and gives best results.

The stitching would be done at a higher resolution and resized later.

To obtain a succesful 3000 pixel wide panorama (768 high) you probably need to shoot something like 8 images with a 25% (or more) overlap in portrait format.

Don't use too wide an angle lens - 35mm to 50mm works quite well and I have had success using this setup with up to 18 images.

Tripod or monopod is strongly advised but is not essential.

Use manual focus, manual exposure and manual AWB to avoid wide variations between images.

PTGUI is my prefered stitching software but I've have good results with CS3's built in stitching application.

Good luck,

DaveG

I am still expeimenting with Adobe Photoshop Elements 5, actually bought a very good book that I could actually follow & understand. I thought I would have a go at panoramic pictures, stitching 2 or 3 shots together. However if I did try the ge'nre I wouldn't be printing the results due to costs etc, but maybe using them in PTE.

Well after all that waffle if I do stitch 3 x 1024x768 sized pictures together, what size do I use for Pte to acheive a nice long pan? 1024x768 or 3072x768??? or forget stiching and use 3 separate slides faded into each other.

Yachtsman1 :blink:

I have found that if you stich all three together, save that image and load into PTE, then use the pan facility in the animation window it works very well.

Hi Eric,

One of the sequences that I built last year opens with a pan across a panoramic image. The image file is 3332x768 and was created using Photoshop Elements v5's stitching facility. The start point was five images taken with the intention of stitching - and therefore overlapped significantly to give the software plenty of points on which to "synchronise" each stitch. The images were hand-held but I was as careful as I could be to keep everything on the same level. I didn't do anything manually - I left everything to the camera in terms of focus, exposure and WB.

regards,

Peter

....Well after all that waffle if I do stitch 3 x 1024x768 sized pictures together, what size do I use for Pte to acheive a nice long pan? 1024x768 or 3072x768??? or forget stiching and use 3 separate slides faded into each other...

Hi Yachtsman1

You can use 3072x768 with PTE and you will get a panorama panning through the 1024x768 window.

I have experienced this PTE facility. I have built a panorama starting with 10 pictures 2560 x 1920pixels each, The resulting panorama picture was 16932 x 1839 pixels, then I reduced the size to 9944 x1080 pixels in order to use it with PTE which works perfectly well using "fit to slide" in o&a window. The only problem was : as the panorama is a bit long I had to make two pauses during Pan in order to avoid viewer head spin.

Daniel.

Hi Eric,

After you have stitched the originals, just set the vertical size via Photoshop or whichever interpolation software you use to the maximum size you need to support any zooms into the image. Then place the image slide into PTE and size it to fill the vertical aspect of the display you are using or the vertical size for your intended audience. Then you can pan and zoom at will.

The important thing is to remember not to exceed a 1:1 on your zoom. That is don't zoom too much deeper than what you would have with a 1:1 view of the original in Photoshop to avoid loosing image quality.

Here's a sample:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/demos/cliffpalace.zip

In this one, the entire slideshow consists of a single stitched pano which was made with eight stitched frames.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Eric,

One of the sequences that I built last year opens with a pan across a panoramic image. The image file is 3332x768 and was created using Photoshop Elements v5's stitching facility. The start point was five images taken with the intention of stitching - and therefore overlapped significantly to give the software plenty of points on which to "synchronise" each stitch. The images were hand-held but I was as careful as I could be to keep everything on the same level. I didn't do anything manually - I left everything to the camera in terms of focus, exposure and WB.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

I assume you are referring to "file new panorama/photomerge"?? I have used that for compiling a montage or collage, but not a panorama. Just tried it with 3 random pics & it seems to work fine. Had a try with autostitch but it rejected the pictures it selected for some reason. So I can't compare both systems. Will have another go later. Thanks for the tip.

Regards Eric

Here's a link to an 18 image 180 degree panorama shot handheld and using Manual Exposure, Focus and WB (I always set the camera to 5200K).

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/g...es/panorama.jpg

I tried constructing this in both PTGUI and Adobe's version of stitching software and the result is identical.

Incidentally I find Photobucket to be an excellent resource and alternative to MediaFire.

DaveG