WnSoft Forums

music duration

moonman

Hello

two of us have found slight difference in time between time line and a music trk made in cool edit to that length.

But on last show the waveform looked right but when played the music track was some 8 secs too long.I could hear music past the point time line shows it faded out .I did everything poss from cpy slides into new project and then adding the audio fresh again. Attch scrn grab of time line showing fade but hear music to end of picts. My project options are all same as when i have made shows that come out on time. Any help please ?

organmorgan man

Doc1.doc

Two thoughts - both might not be the issue:

I have in the past accidentally created a WAV file with the wrong frequency. I used something other than 44,100mhz that gave me the kind of result you are seeing

The other option is check TIMED POINTS > SET END OF LAST SLIDE TO END OF MUSIC. I had that issue bringing the music in from another ver of PTE and clicking on that solved the issue without making a mess of my synching

Two thoughts - both might not be the issue:

I have in the past accidentally created a WAV file with the wrong frequency. I used something other than 44,100mhz that gave me the kind of result you are seeing

The other option is check TIMED POINTS > SET END OF LAST SLIDE TO END OF MUSIC. I had that issue bringing the music in from another ver of PTE and clicking on that solved the issue without making a mess of my synching

Hi jim

i know the sample rate is correct but i agree you have to watch out as the likes of audacity makes it correct for viewing but has not actually changed the rate unless you tell it to.

The other thought i dont think will work as the music is faded to end before last slide unless the timed point takes the end of the sound track ie including the bit after the fade.

It does seem very odd when you look at time line its correct yet you here some thing different .

After sending post i retried using a duff or apparent duff pte and it played correctly. yet another did not .

hope someone else picks up on this cheers organmorgan Brit

Hi jim

i know the sample rate is correct but i agree you have to watch out as the likes of audacity makes it correct for viewing but has not actually changed the rate unless you tell it to.

The other thought i dont think will work as the music is faded to end before last slide unless the timed point takes the end of the sound track ie including the bit after the fade.

It does seem very odd when you look at time line its correct yet you here some thing different .

After sending post i retried using a duff or apparent duff pte and it played correctly. yet another did not .

hope someone else picks up on this cheers organmorgan Brit

Try what Jim says no joy but what i do see is cool edit trk L is 8m36 with silence added to length of show ie inc silent end caption.

When i put it into PTE in proj options it comes in reading 8 m 57. The time line shows fade out at 8m 28s but shows that correctly yet it also shows music duration going on as in proj options to 8m57s. the audio is not being stretched it sounds fine.

what more can i say

organmorgan brit

Organmorgan,

Project Options...Music tab will show you the length of the music file. The Timeline will show you the total length as per the sum of your slide durations. This time is also shown under the bottom right-hand corner of the mini-player preview area.

It is quite normal for these not to be the same. If you want everything to align neatly at the end of the timeline you need to select Timeline...Timed Points...Set End of Last Slide at End of Music.

regards,

Peter

Try what Jim says no joy but what i do see is cool edit trk L is 8m36 with silence added to length of show ie inc silent end caption.

When i put it into PTE in proj options it comes in reading 8 m 57. The time line shows fade out at 8m 28s but shows that correctly yet it also shows music duration going on as in proj options to 8m57s. the audio is not being stretched it sounds fine.

what more can i say

organmorgan brit

some more information if it helps anyone audio length in following varies.....

cool edit pc 8m36s audacity pc 8m36s creative wave studio pc 8m34s win med player pc 8m57s VLC pc 8m57s PTE 8m57s

mac finder 8m57s mac QT 8m36s mac VLC 8m57s mac audacity 8m36s

it must be some thing specific to a file but what . I am doing nothing different to any other time just saving as Mp3 in cooledit on Pc

it sounds ok on any player its at 44100 16 bit.

hope this helps

Organmorgan,

Project Options...Music tab will show you the length of the music file. The Timeline will show you the total length as per the sum of your slide durations. This time is also shown under the bottom right-hand corner of the mini-player preview area.

It is quite normal for these not to be the same. If you want everything to align neatly at the end of the timeline you need to select Timeline...Timed Points...Set End of Last Slide at End of Music.

regards,

Peter

Thanks for reply Peter yes i tried that no help. The plot thickens . I made new edit of original trk on mac with cool edit transfered to pte on pc it went in perfectly.

I then did same on pc with cool edit starting from same original trak duff same as before.

I then took that orig trk chopped to 4 min in cooledit then put into pte it shows music duration of 4 min 10s an error again.

So this comes down to a particular music trk only when edit on cool edit or audacity on pc then put into PTE.

So what is it that PTE sees but sound editors dont i ask .

john Brit

Thanks for reply Peter yes i tried that no help. The plot thickens . I made new edit of original trk on mac with cool edit transfered to pte on pc it went in perfectly.

I then did same on pc with cool edit starting from same original trak duff same as before.

I then took that orig trk chopped to 4 min in cooledit then put into pte it shows music duration of 4 min 10s an error again.

So this comes down to a particular music trk only when edit on cool edit or audacity on pc then put into PTE.

So what is it that PTE sees but sound editors dont i ask .

john Brit

The solution is here having done many experiments to isolate the problem i found this out.

If i took the orig cda into cool edit and edited then saved to the times as of this issue i found when put into PTE it was fine.[ie i ripped in cool edit ] This only left Cedex as possible culprit . I the did fresh rip with cedx edit in cool same timings then put into PTE bingo there was the problem so there is some thing about cedex when ripping that PTE does not like ie the music keeps playing even though sound editors show fade and audio stop . I guess there is still one more move to make is it just cedex and that particular cd or does it happen with other rippers.

Thanks to all of you that responded i hope this gets picked up some how as a post for others to learn from Cheers

John Brit

The solution is here having done many experiments to isolate the problem i found this out.

If i took the orig cda into cool edit and edited then saved to the times as of this issue i found when put into PTE it was fine.[ie i ripped in cool edit ] This only left Cedex as possible culprit . I the did fresh rip with cedx edit in cool same timings then put into PTE bingo there was the problem so there is some thing about cedex when ripping that PTE does not like ie the music keeps playing even though sound editors show fade and audio stop . I guess there is still one more move to make is it just cedex and that particular cd or does it happen with other rippers.

Thanks to all of you that responded i hope this gets picked up some how as a post for others to learn from Cheers

John Brit

Just to say i have now put deep ripper in pc and guess what , When edit as before and put into PTE i get trk length of 9min not 8m36s.

so its not cedex its something else connected with ripping. Deep rip does not have CDDB either so thats gone !

John Brit

Just to say i have now put deep ripper in pc and guess what , When edit as before and put into PTE i get trk length of 9min not 8m36s.

so its not cedex its something else connected with ripping. Deep rip does not have CDDB either so thats gone !

John Brit

HI

after much experimenting the conclusion is

a particular cd [there could be more ]

when ripped in a number of rippers then edited in cool edit or audacity and opened in any audio editor and looking fine.

when put into PTE displays a different music duration to the editors

the wave form shows the fade as in the editors but even after fade out music continues to play.

It does exactly the same if taken to another pc.

If the cd is ripped on a mac no problems.

if the cd is put ascda into editor and edit then saved as mp3 no problem.

So its a combination of one or some cds and ripping progs.

hope this may be of help to anyone else having similar trouble

cheers John brit

Hi Guys,

This is just a thought:- When Burning or Replaying WAV Files ~ by design they require a 2.second 'Lead-In Time'

and if stitching these together (track after track) that time delay accumulates. However if you "merge-them" track

after track only the 2.sec Lead-Delay is evident.

By the way Cedex strips out the 'WAV Lead-Delay'~ Only when you go to Burn the track will you see the Burner

Software re-insert the Lead-Delay.

Why not try that WAV-Track reconverted to an MP3 and see if your timing- error still exists ??...

Just a thought,

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Guys,

This is just a thought:- When Burning or Replaying WAV Files ~ by design they require a 2.second 'Lead-In Time'

and if stitching these together (track after track) that time delay accumulates. However if you "merge-them" track

after track only the 2.sec Lead-Delay is evident.

By the way Cedex strips out the 'WAV Lead-Delay'~ Only when you go to Burn the track will you see the Burner

Software re-insert the Lead-Delay.

Why not try that WAV-Track reconverted to an MP3 and see if your timing- error still exists ??...

Just a thought,

Brian.Conflow.

Hi yes i see what you say but i am dealing with Mp3 as i see it . In any case the error i am getting was in the order of 20 secs and the other point as it resolved itself it was only tied to one cd.

cheers to you Brian John brit