WnSoft Forums

Screen Flicker

Barry Beckham

I wonder sometimes if my life is destined to be spent solely sorting out computer problems rather than getting some interesting stuff done :angry: .

I have a great new Dell 27in monitor and today started to put together a slide show. The opening titles are just a black screen, fade to white letters and fade down to black, simple enough you would think.

As the title appears there is a sort of pulse around the edges of the monitor as though the transition is being carried out in stages. Totally unacceptable. It is the same on all images, but can be seen clearer on the titles.

Graphic card is a Gforce 8600GT with up to date drivers

Native resolution 1920*1200

Tried all the usual stuff graphics acceleration etc etc

Ideas anyone

B

Dave

I create my images in photoshop, so it was a black jpg at the resoution mentioned and another with white letters created in Photoshop. A sandwhich of Black.jpg - black with white letters.jpg - black.jpg

I tried PTE 5.5 too and that is the same.

Tried the same test on my wifes system and the same flicker/pulse can be seen there too, but the two systems are identical so no great surprise there.

I do not see the problem when I play the test on my 1024*768 monitor in another room and another PC

B

AAaaaaarrrrgghhhhhhh

Hangs his head in shame, I have found the problem !!!! ;) .

I thought I had created a blank black slide, but on checking again I found that it wasn't quite black. I must have done a Ctrl+del to flood the jpg with what looked black to me, but wasn't. I used that off black jpg for the white letters too. You would only notice it when compared to a black slide and that is what I saw when I opened up what I thought was black and flooded it again. OOOoops.

That was enough to produce that pulse.

Doesn't this hobby throw you some googlies at times?

I'm glad that you found it!

It's those shortcuts that can sometimes cause problems. :rolleyes:

I always use EDIT / FILL / BLACK.

BTW - Ctrl + Del does nothing on my CS3 - is it standard or something that you have set up?

I take that back - it is "Fill with background colour" - I was filling white on white and therefore it appeared to do nothing!!

DaveG

The trouble is I have used these shortcuts for so many years I do them without thinking. Ctrl+del floods your background colour and Alt+del floods the foreground colour. They are very useful for slide shows, but here is a tip.

Make sure you fill your black jpg's with black and not very dark grey :P or you get an ugly pulsing during the transition :rolleyes: