WnSoft Forums

Fixed size of slide

baldsparky

Hi

I'm not sure I've grasped things as i should have, so a few pointers would be very much appreciated.

I have just created a show to fit the optimum resolution of my monitor (1680x1050) pixels, 16:10 aspect ratio and have set the following in

the 'project option/screen' tab

Fixed size of slide (in pixels) is checked,

Aspect ratio of a slide 16:10

Size of slide 1680 x 1050.

My question is this, because I have checked fixed size of slide at 1680x1050 pixels, does this mean that the created show will play at that size on all monitors

whether their resolution is greater or smaller? ie on larger resolution monitors there will be a larger black border, or on a smaller resolution monitor that a part of the slide in the show will be missing.

Kind regards

Paul

...because I have checked fixed size of slide at 1680x1050 pixels, does this mean that the created show will play at that size on all monitors

whether their resolution is greater or smaller? ie on larger resolution monitors there will be a larger black border, or on a smaller resolution monitor that a part of the slide in the show will be missing...

Hi Paul,

Yes and No respectively.

I've just done a couple of quick tests. A show built to Fixed size 1024x768 using 1024x768 images ran on my 1280x1024 monitor with a broad black band all around it. A show built to Fixed size 1920x1200 using 1920x1200 images ran OK on the monitor and filled the width (with no loss of any part of the image) but left a black band top and bottom.

My interpretation of my results is that using Fixed size of slide will not expand the image to fit a larger monitor; and it will down-sample the image to get "best fit" on a smaller monitor.

regards,

Peter

David and Peter

thanks for your replies.

The reason I asked this question was because when I had created the show at the size and aspect ratio mentioned,

when I played it on my laptop with the same aspect ratio, but smaller resolution 1440x900 it fitted without any part of the slide being missing, which is not what I expected,

so it looks like it as you said Peter, it down samples it to fit the smaller resolution monitors.

This raises anorther question,

Does this mean that when the show is downsampled it loses some of it's original picture quality?

kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

I will quote what Igor originally said:

PTE does a better job of interpolating downwards than it does at interpolating upwards.

So, while pixels are lost when downsizing the quality loss is not as bad as, for instance, playing a 1024x768 show at full height on a 1920x1200.

DaveG

Guest Yachtsman1
Hi Paul,

Yes and No respectively.

I've just done a couple of quick tests. A show built to Fixed size 1024x768 using 1024x768 images ran on my 1280x1024 monitor with a broad black band all around it. A show built to Fixed size 1920x1200 using 1920x1200 images ran OK on the monitor and filled the width (with no loss of any part of the image) but left a black band top and bottom.

My interpretation of my results is that using Fixed size of slide will not expand the image to fit a larger monitor; and it will down-sample the image to get "best fit" on a smaller monitor.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

Something odd here, I never use anything else but 1024x768 which fills my 1280x1024 laptop screen???

Regards Eric

Eric,

But do you have "Fixed size of slides" ticked on the Screen tab of Project Options? This discussion is about PTE's behaviour when that option is ticked.

Provided that PTE is behaving for you in the way that you want it to behave, then it ain't broke; so don't try and fix it!

regards,

Peter