WnSoft Forums

Opinions on Auto Save

davegee

Auto Save project file has been with us for a while.

What, in your opinion, is the best way to make use of it?

Do you just let it overwrite your original pte file; do you save a different version from time to time?

I am thinking that, on a long project, it might be a good idea to save a new version on a daily basis and only Auto Save over the current day's work.

Any opinions?

DaveG

IMHO

would not likeley use it - i would rather "save as" as a different name - on long periods being at the key board, it is wise to to save as and take a break to let the grey matter recycle :)

you can then try the different versions

-the pte is likely the smallest file in the project but the most important in the whole process

remember the old adage "JESUS SAVES" :)

ken

Auto Save project file has been with us for a while.

What, in your opinion, is the best way to make use of it?

Do you just let it overwrite your original pte file; do you save a different version from time to time...

Dave,

I do not consider the existing "Auto save" function as very useful. So, I save different versions from time to time. What I would like to have is a real recovery function, as proposed about a year ago, see here. By the way, recovery and versioning are two different subjects.

Regards,

Xaver

Guest Yachtsman1

My preference is to be asked if I want to save changes, then I can make my own mind up to save as modified or revert to how I started.

Yachtsman1

My preference is to be asked if I want to save changes, then I can make my own mind up to save as modified or revert to how I started.

Yachtsman1

Eric,

Do you mean that you want to be asked regularly or when you exit?

Auto save is a deterent against loss of work due to a crash etc

DaveG

Dave,

I would use the auto save function if I am working on a long complex project. I would set the save time to be 30 mins as a compromise between too regular a save and the amount of project lost if a crash occurs. Having said this, I have not used auto save so far. Nowadays I have the computer connected to a UPS which gives me about 2 minutes to close down if there is a loss of supply which I have had once or twice.

Jeff

Guest Yachtsman1
Eric,

Do you mean that you want to be asked regularly or when you exit?

Auto save is a deterent against loss of work due to a crash etc

DaveG

Hi Dave

When I exit. Which is the way most of my Windows based software works, EG Word Excel etc.

Regards Eric

I have voiced my thoughts about Auto-Save on the forum elsewhere in the past. For me, a good Auto-Save design would allow me to choose:

- whether to turn it on or turn it off (it would be optional, as it is now)

- the format of the saved file name (with a default of Project Name-&Sysdate-&Systime)

- the folder in which the saved files were placed (with a default of a PTE system folder)

- the frequency with which the saves take place (as can be set now)

- what happens to the saved files when I exit PTE (default = keep none; but options to keep last used or keep all)

The "Auto-Save" function, when turned on, would also result in the following activity at PTE start-up:

- check whether any "Auto Saved" files exist in my last-used "Auto-Save" folder

- if none, then start up exactly as now (in my case that would result in opening the last used project)

- if "auto-save" files do exist, then ask me if I want to use one of them

- if I say No, offer me the choice of opening my last used project or of opening a new PTE project or of opening some other project file

- if I say Yes, open the one that I select and then compel me to do a File Save As before I can make any changes to that file

For me, the Auto-Save feature should never, under any circumstance, over-write the existing project file unless I give it explicit authority to do so. I should always have the option to abandon the entire edit session and revert to my original form of the project.

Moreover, the Auto-Save feature should never leave me editting an "Auto-Saved" file. It should always force me to rename (via File Save As) to a proper PTE project name.

regards,

Peter

My ideal way to safeguard work is to save in steps. Every time I do something that is a major step, one that takes more than 4-5 minutes to set up, I like to "save a version" on the spot. So, at the end of a laborious slide show, I might have 12 to 15 different levels (versions) that I can go back to. Sometimes I might go back 5 or 6 levels and go a different direction. I keep all versions for a few weeks, then delete them at some point. I don't know if that's something that needs to be automated into the program however, as I have formed the habit and thus don't really see a need.

Auto save is a good thing for those that rely on it until a situation pops up that auto save interferes with. That might never happen. I spend a lot of time on some of my projects and I like the ability to choose what level I want to return to.

- larry

Hi all,

The way I have been using it is as follows:

Let's say that I am doing around an hour's work per day on a particularly long project.

With Auto Save set at 10 - 15 minutes, the first day's work is saved as Version one.

When starting work on day two I open Version one and immediately save as Version Two.

Auto Save will do its own thing and then when I finish I will save as Version Two.

On day three open Version Two and immediately save as Version Three etc.

The end result is a series of Versions any which could be returned to if necessary.

This should result in an insurance against all manner of possible catastrophes and each version takes up very little space.

I don't consider that any possible changes in Auto Save would be worth the time spent on it (by Igor) at this stage so I am quite happy to continue this way.

If anyone could suggest an improvement in what I have described I would certainly consider it.

Thanks all, for taking the time to contribute .

DaveG

The current implementation of Auto-Save was introduced quickly by Igor as a result of Lin Evans and myself both encountering a PTE crash (caused by an "out of resources" condition) during our editing of some complex animated sequences. The "Auto Save" event, as currently implemented, frees up that resource and so eliminates the PTE crash.

Larry, I agree with you 100% that the user should do saves at regular intervals. In my particular case, it was the first day spent working on this particular project and I was editing an image that had on it several hundred objects and each object was involved in an animation event. In my mind, at the time, I intended to complete the work on that image and then Save As before moving on to the next image. That image was, to me, the logical point at which to do the next Save As. PTE and Windows didn't give me the chance to get there. Moreover, the Windows "recovery" routines took it upon themselves to delete my original project file - so I lost ALL my work on that project and had to start over.

There is a place in PTE for the current Auto-Save feature - but I don't like it over-writing the current project file. In my opinion, there is definitely a place for an improved Auto-Save feature. Neither of them should be seen as replacing good "Save As" discipline through the life of a project. But there will always be the possibility of something unexpected and unpredicted happening - and that is what a feature-rich Auto-Save could protect us against.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

An interesting point arising out of your post.

I have often wondered if it would be better if PTE opened up as a blank screen similar to PS / Elements etc. rather than opening the last saved project?

I think that the recently opened files option would provide all that is required.

Maybe a menu item which would give either option would be useful.

DaveG

.. I have often wondered if it would be better if PTE opened up as a blank screen similar to PS / Elements etc. rather than opening the last saved project?

There is the option: View > Advanced options > Load last used project. Deactivate it!

Regards,

Xaver

In my mind, at the time, I intended to complete the work on that image and then Save As before moving on to the next image. That image was, to me, the logical point at which to do the next Save.........

Peter, every time I get the mental thought that maybe it's time to do a "level save" as I call it, I do it. If I get up to go get a drink of water or just take a break, I do a new save. It's too easy, it's safe and it's just part of the work flow. Besides, there are never too many... I can always erase them at any time. If I were to want auto saves at all, I would prefer that it do each one like mine, as a numbered save, so different levels exist. Of course, I don't think this feature is necessary to be built in to the program. This manual method keeps me aware of what I'm saving and at what point. An automated save for me would be the simplest of safety nets, whereas, the way I do it now, I'm controlling the saves at more significant points. So, I say keep automated saves for basic safety, yes, but relying on it for great work flow protection, no.

- larry