WnSoft Forums

Totally OFF TOPIC

JEB

Hi,

I know this is totally off topic but I also know there are a number of people on this forum who are I am certain able to offer an explanation for the following, so I hope I'm forgiven for asking.

I have been spending some time recently re-organizing my filing system with a view to putting in place a better back-up strategy. This has involved transferring many folders from one hard drive to another. I have found there to be discrepancies, sometimes very large, between the “used” space shown under the “Properties” tab of all my hard drives and the sum of the individual folders within those drives. See worst case example below.

D (Internal Drive)

My Computer/D/Right click/Properties

Used 57GB

Free 55 GB

Capacity 111GB

Sum of all Folders 7 GB

Missing space 50 GB ????

Shortfalls also exist on my external drives though not so dramatic.

I have used the Tools “Error Checking” & “Defragmentation” but they have made no difference.

Any ideas?

Regards

John

Hi John,

maybe the missing space is occupied by the recycle bin.

Have you configured your system that you can see also hidden and system folders? (RECYCLER is a hidden folder)

If you like you can enable this in explorer/extras/folder options/view (translated from my german version of windows xp, it may differ on your system.

But the first thing would be: Open the recycle bin and have a look and if you decide you don't need the files -> clear it. Then check space again.

Regards,

Frank

John,

The difference may be how/if your Hard Drive(s) is partitioned and how they were partitioned.

You may want to check your OS service tools ... specifically the Computer Management | Storage | Disk Management section.

Verify how many Hard Disks you actually have and how they may be/if partitioned. Also check how many of them are Primary partitions or Extended partitions and which if any have additional logical drives.

Disk partitioning - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

John,

Things are not always that simple with Win.Computers for the reason there are things which Microsoft

don't want you to know, in fact 'Nobeefstu' is coming in on target with his contributions but there is a lot more

to add to that ~ if I may do so.

When Microsoft says 70% Disc Space Free ~ in theory that should be correct ~ except they don't tell you about

the 'reserved-spaces' which will be used by the System if and when needed. Because thats a 'variable' feast its

not counted in the 70% Free space quoted ~ which most PC-users believe to be true ~ its not so !

For one minute lets take an example of an XP 100.GB Hard with no special user partitions. When one does

an SIW-Audit on that Drive it becomes very clear that only 70.GB is available for ALL the Op.System and

User Programs ~ now you see what you shouldn't know. (The 90.GB attached example only has 67.GB available)

If you look at the 'simple' Attached Diagram you will get the picture relative to a simple XP-System with no frills.

Unknown to most, XP has a single partition strictly reserved for System-Restore. (Copy of the Op.System). It also

has other 'reserved-spaces' not known to the User and in total they all amount to 25% of the 90.GB Hard Drive.

One would think if a larger HD was used they would get more HD allocation space ~ Not true because the FATS File

Management System works on a 'pro-rata size' basis and you will get a little more percentage but not in size ratio.

Some simple facts:-

* Any JPeg Image will be approx 1% larger on Disc than the real Image is.

* Program Folders are approx 2% larger on Disc than the Folder contents.

* Users only have access to approx 75% of total Disc capacity.

* Exceeding this User capacity will cause regular 'crashes' as the Page File System

can not access any usable Virtual-Memory...because starvation is setting in!

One could go on with this for ever, but unless one does a HD-Audit you can not be certain what goes on under the Hood.

I hope this, and the 'Attachment' helps to explain your File size differentials. (Attachment not to Scale)

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1236380022_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Thank you ALL very much for your replies, particularly Brian for going to so much trouble in providing such a detailed response. My mind is much more at rest now as I finish off my preparations for my new backup strategy. I'm trying to convince myself that I know what I'm doing!

Regards

John