WnSoft Forums

PTE and Windows vista

Vesa K

Can you translate from the Finnish as accurately as possible?

DaveG

Well, it says in English: Exception EstreamReadError in module "slideshow.exe" at 0001879B,

and in Finnish approximately: Copy protection error - reading failed because the segment is hidden.

Vesa K

If I understand you correctly - Slideshow.exe plays OK on your XP machine and you have burned it to a DVD?

The DVD cannot be read on the VISTA machine?

I think that you could possibly try to transfer the slideshow.exe to the Vista machine by some other means - memory key or USB drive - to see if it is the exe or the DVD which is causing your problem.

DaveG

Vesa K,

My best guess is that your slideshow may be using some sort of protected music file(s).

Check your music file(s) to see if they play on the Vista by itself without the slideshow.

Also rebuild the slideshow without any music files and verify if it now runs on the Vista.

Vesa K,

My best guess is that your slideshow may be using some sort of protected music file(s).

Check your music file(s) to see if they play on the Vista by itself without the slideshow.

Also rebuild the slideshow without any music files and verify if it now runs on the Vista.

No, my slideshow does not contain any sound files, or any other copyright protected material. Thanks anyway.

But I will try whether the slideshow will play in Vista from a memory stick. I will notify of the result here.

Vesa K

1) What version of PicturesToExe you have used to create this slideshow?

2) I recommend burn slideshow again onto new DVD-RW disc and try again. Or copy slideshow to USB Flash drive.

3) Please try to play our official examples of slideshow:

http://wnsoft.com/apr/show/Light_of_the_Far_Worlds.zip

http://wnsoft.com/apr/show/Late_Summer_at_the_Garden.zip

1) What version of PicturesToExe you have used to create this slideshow?

2) I recommend burn slideshow again onto new DVD-RW disc and try again. Or copy slideshow to USB Flash drive.

3) Please try to play our official examples of slideshow:

http://wnsoft.com/apr/show/Light_of_the_Far_Worlds.zip

http://wnsoft.com/apr/show/Late_Summer_at_the_Garden.zip

I have the 5.5 version of PTE. I have now found out that the slideshow DOES indeed play in Vista from a USB flash drive ! It is exactly the same file that I have on the DVD. I have copied it on more than one DVD with the same result. So the problem must be some incompatibility of Vista with the WindowsXP-generated DVD. Besides, the "Vista-PC" could not read some image (JPG) files on DVD which were not generated with PTE. I just worry how I can deliver my show to relatives who possibly have Vista, because CD or DVD is the only practical choice. But obviously the problem is not with PTE.

Thanks to you and the others.

Vesa K

Vesa K,

See this comment ... it may help to resolve your CD/DVD disc distribution.

Also Slideshows run from a disc can have performace issues on many others PCs ... best performance is obtained run from the hard drive.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=62973

Thanks, I will check the matter in due time ! (the Windows-related incompatibility issues are really annoying..)

Vesa

I have the 5.5 version of PTE. I have now found out that the slideshow DOES indeed play in Vista from a USB flash drive ! It is exactly the same file that I have on the DVD. I have copied it on more than one DVD with the same result. So the problem must be some incompatibility of Vista with the WindowsXP-generated DVD. Besides, the "Vista-PC" could not read some image (JPG) files on DVD which were not generated with PTE. I just worry how I can deliver my show to relatives who possibly have Vista, because CD or DVD is the only practical choice. But obviously the problem is not with PTE.

Thanks to you and the others.

Vesa K

I believe the Windows Vista DMI functions that annoy and upset so many people are DVD-centric, i.e. they expect pirated and other illegal program content to be on a DVD. The same program from a memory stick does not trigger the DMI checks as does a DVD.

With the advent of 8GB and greater memory sticks, a DVD will fit on one, which probably wasn't the case when Vista was on the drawing board.

Colin.

Vesa K,

Your previous post ... made me think a little more about your issue :

Have you tried making your slidehows using Pte v5.6 ... and test on CD/DVD disk to Vista?

Your comment of ... "Vista-PC" could not read some image (JPG) files on DVD which were not generated with PTE"... began to make me wonder if any of your issue image files contain any EXIF and or IPTC data tags?

Theory :

My proposed and untested theory is if any the problem images contain any EXIF and or IPTC data tags ... this maybe the possible culprit somehow triggering your Vista's problem message - Copy protection error.

Test :

- First build a Ptev5.6 slideshow using all your exact image files from the v5.5 file.

-If you do have images with EXIF and or IPTC data tags ... remove the images from your slideshow and test only with images without the data tag information. Build a new slideshow in your Pte v 5.5

-Burn both slideshows to CD/DVD disc and test on Vista.

Results :

- If the v5.6 slideshow works ... it would appear to me the new option feature of Crypting Images in v5.6 is hiding the data triggering the Copy protection error message in Vista.

-If the v5.5 slideshow works ... it would appear the EXIF and or IPTC data tags is the trigger of the Copy protection error message in Vista.

-If both slideshows still dont work ... its time for a new theory to test !

** Goodluck ... as I dont have Vista OS available to test for myself.

Vesa K,

Your previous post ... made me think a little more about your issue :

Have you tried making your slidehows using Pte v5.6 ... and test on CD/DVD disk to Vista?

Your comment of ... "Vista-PC" could not read some image (JPG) files on DVD which were not generated with PTE"... began to make me wonder if any of your issue image files contain any EXIF and or IPTC data tags?

Theory :

My proposed and untested theory is if any the problem images contain any EXIF and or IPTC data tags ... this maybe the possible culprit somehow triggering your Vista's problem message - Copy protection error.

Test :

- First build a Ptev5.6 slideshow using all your exact image files from the v5.5 file.

-If you do have images with EXIF and or IPTC data tags ... remove the images from your slideshow and test only with images without the data tag information. Build a new slideshow in your Pte v 5.5

-Burn both slideshows to CD/DVD disc and test on Vista.

Results :

- If the v5.6 slideshow works ... it would appear to me the new option feature of Crypting Images in v5.6 is hiding the data triggering the Copy protection error message in Vista.

-If the v5.5 slideshow works ... it would appear the EXIF and or IPTC data tags is the trigger of the Copy protection error message in Vista.

-If both slideshows still dont work ... its time for a new theory to test !

** Goodluck ... as I dont have Vista OS available to test for myself.

--

Can I open a project created in PTE 5.5 in 5.6 ? I would not like to create the whole project again.

Another thing: I have found that Vista has no problem reading files on a DVD not containing the PTE presentation, so the problem is, after all, related somehow to PTE (i.e. the PTE show interferes reading of also other files on the DVD). The PTE presentation shows the same problem independent of whether there are other files on the DVD or not.

Maybe one day there will be a solution.

Vesa

Vesa,

Yes, you can open a project built under v5.5 into v5.6. But, if you then exploit any new v5.6 function, you will not be able to open that project under v5.5 without losing that new function. It is best to either create a copy of the project and use that under v5.6 or open the current project file and then immediately do a File...Save As... and give it a new name.

regards,

Peter

Vesa,

Yes, you can open a project built under v5.5 into v5.6. But, if you then exploit any new v5.6 function, you will not be able to open that project under v5.5 without losing that new function. It is best to either create a copy of the project and use that under v5.6 or open the current project file and then immediately do a File...Save As... and give it a new name.

regards,

Peter

Good news:

I have downloaded PTE 5.6, opened my project there, recreated the show and written it onto a CR-RW. It plays OK both in XP and Vista ! So the reason for the problem remains a mystery - apparently something was corrupt, but now all sems to be in order. I have not yet tried it on a DVD, so hopefully the format does not matter (that particular show fits well onto a CD !).

Thank you all for taking part in my "sorrow". This is a great forum (great people).

Vesa

Good news:

I have downloaded PTE 5.6, opened my project there, recreated the show and written it onto a CR-RW. It plays OK both in XP and Vista ! So the reason for the problem remains a mystery - apparently something was corrupt, but now all sems to be in order. I have not yet tried it on a DVD, so hopefully the format does not matter (that particular show fits well onto a CD !).

Thank you all for taking part in my "sorrow". This is a great forum (great people).

Vesa

Sorry for misspelling in my last letter: CR-RW should have been CD-RW. of course. and "sems" means "seems".

Vesa

Guest Yachtsman1
Sorry for misspelling in my last letter: CR-RW should have been CD-RW. of course. and "sems" means "seems".

Vesa

Hi Vesa

You don't need to re-post if you find a mistake, just click the edit button ;)

Yachtsman1