WnSoft Forums

Best projector for PTE

stonemason

Guest Yachtsman1
What's the current thinking on the best type of projector for PTE .exe slideshows DLP or LCD?

Geoff

Hi Geoff

LCD is supposed to give a better colour rendition, personally I was advised & bought a DLP projector. I don't do a lot of fancy animation and up to now my projector has produced satisfactory results. I recently discovered it has an RGB setting which brightened the picture & colours. So to answer your question, if you are considering buying a new projector, I'm happy with DLP & my club also has a DLP.

Yachtsman1

Thanks Yachtsman1. Would you mind telling me which model you bought, as making a choice is always easier with knowledge of other peoples experiance. Our club also uses DLP and this seems better than the majority of LCD projectors I've seen.

Thanks

Geoff

Guest Yachtsman1
Thanks Yachtsman1. Would you mind telling me which model you bought, as making a choice is always easier with knowledge of other peoples experiance. Our club also uses DLP and this seems better than the majority of LCD projectors I've seen.

Thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff

I don't think the projector I bought is available any more, I bought it from ebay it's a Nobo X17E which is recognised as a commercial model rather than a domestic type. This link is to a UK site that is a mine of information about projectors & well worth looking at before deciding.

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/index.htm One thing to check out is the cost of a replacement lamp, some can cost as much as 50% of the projector cost. Some manuufactures/suppliers offer a free replacement lamp which is something to consider.

Yachtsman1.

Hi Geoff,

This 'topic' was discussed to death last month and it really highlighted how little people knew about Projectors and in

particular how little was known about the recent 'technical developments' in this important field of Video-Electronics.

Its not os much a matter of DLP -v- LCD Projectors nor the newer Plasma-Mirror types but in reality its all about,viz:-

a) What do you want the Projector to do for you ?

B) Where is it most likely to be used and for what ?

c) Will it ever be used for PZR effect or HD-Video ?

d) How 'future proof' do you want this Projector to be ?

You need to sit down and take notes and 'thrash' out these (4 question) in the expectations of current and future usage.

To depend on 'well meaning' current recommendations relative to Projectors which are a few years old is like comparing

Single Processor PCs ~to~ Duo Core PCs. The difference is really that great.

The most up to date Technology is:- "Multi-Frame Buffer Projectors" based on 1080 Technology either DLP or LCD Types.

Below are some Drawings & Attachments and Links which should point you in the right direction BUT BEFORE YOU BUY make sure

you have a small 'Demo Pte-Show' with PZR effect in it ~ bring it with you and try it out alternatively bring along a HD-Video Show.

Ignore this advice at your own peril and I am certain other Forum Members will say the same thing !!

Good luck with the Shopping,

Brian.Conflow.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9528

http://www.projectorreviews.com/advice/Hom...terpolation.php

(Read the very last Paragraph in the above Link suggesting 1080 Technology Machines)

post-1416-1238364752_thumb.png

Guest Yachtsman1

I’m afraid this subject has once more prodded me into print on behalf of my section of the PTE Forum, “The Average User”. Last year was like a race with the number of modifications or innovations with PTE. All of which are adding load onto our equipment. This “MUST HAVE” mentality of the minority is jeopardising what the average user wants, and hitting them where they can least afford, in the pocket. It is the way of the World that developers must come out with new innovations to try to get ahead of their rivals, Mr Gates has a lot to answer for in this respect, you only have to look at the number of complaints regarding Vista. I think the best advice for Geoff, is to look at what you want a projector for. If like the many, you produce slide shows for your own and maybe the occasional public showing. Using a little panning zooming and rotating. Take pictures with a modestly priced digital SLR, re-size them to the parameters in the PTE manual. Use a middle range PC/Laptop. Most importantly, expect what you spend your hard-earned money to last for at least a reasonable number of years? Then go out and buy a projector to suit what you have & do, not what the market is driving you to do.

Yachtsman1 ;)

Yachtsman,

I completely agree with you ~ The selection of a Projector is a very personal thing or it's a Club decision

after much discussion. However there are other problems which one has to be keenly aware of,such as:-

1) "Unthruthfull" Marketing descriptions by those hell bent on selling these Products come what may ?

2) "Cave-Entor" Buyer beware. How can 'Buyers' be aware unless they have the full facts on the Product ?

3) "Cheap-Products" which are penetrating the Markets (Laptops etc) which are 'Media-Specific' operation only ?

4) "Good-Technology" which is cost effective once you know what it is, and that's the crunch-question today ?

I also agree with Yachtsmans' comment..."This “MUST HAVE” mentality of the minority is jeopardising what

the average user wants, and hitting them where they can least afford, in the pocket"...

This prompts me to re-iterate what I wrote before, those vital 4 vital Questions:-

a) What do you want the Projector to do for you ?

B) Where is it most likely to be used and for what ?

c) Will it ever be used for PZR effect or HD-Video ?

d) How 'future proof' do you want this Projector to be ?

Best regards,

Brian.Conflow.