WnSoft Forums

Creating an AVI - Pictures chopped at top

facebookdude

Morning,

I've used PTE for about 4 years to create pretty basic slideshows and always use the "create an EXE file" to use on a pc option.

However this year I tried to upload my file to Vimeo and although the file uploaded correctly and works, some of my pictures are being clipped at the top.

I'm assuming they are too big?

FYI, the slideshow plays fine when using the EXE file.

Sorry for the "newbie" question.

Thanks for any insight you may have time to offer.

Craig

:( Okay did I comitt some kind of PTE forum blasphemy or something that 52 look at my post but no one makes any kind of comment? I didn't think it was THAT stupid of a question...... Plus if it was someone would have told me right?? Oh well

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Craig,

Without actually seeing the original, it would be difficult to be exact but it could be that you are the victim of an aspect ratio crop.

Vimeo, for the high definition files uses a 1280x720 pixel video with the 16:9 aspect ratio. If your original show was not in this 16:9 aspect ratio, when you convert it for Vimeo and upload it, there will be cropping somewhere along the top, bottom and/or sides.

The newer cameras which shoot HD video either use what is commonly referred to as 720p or 1080p which translates to 1280x720 progressive scan or 1920x1080 progressive scan. This produces an image which is considerably wider than tall. The "typical" image in PTE from a digital camera is at an aspect of 4:3 which means if you use a typical dSLR to shoot with you will end up with black at the top and bottom of the screen but if you use a digicam it will usually fill the screen. Most digicams (fixed lens digital cameras) have an aspect ratio which corresponds, as an example, to 1024x768 pixels or a true 4:3 aspect. dSLR's "usually" shoot in the same aspect ratio as 35mm film (24x36mm) which corresponds, again as an example, to 1024x683 pixels which is a bit shorter on the vertical than a true 4:3.

So when creating your original show, if you want everything to show on Vimeo's HD, you need to set the aspect ratio of your images to 16:9. You will then "probably" have to crop your images either within PTE via the Objects and Animations screen or in your image editor prior to making your show.

This "may" not be the problem, but from what you describe it sounds very much like it is....

Best regards,

Lin