WnSoft Forums

HOW TO COUNT ".EXE" DOWNLOADS?

orizaba

Dear Fellows,

1. I wish to profit this occasion to say that I am really happy with PTE 5.6! In fact, this software exceeds all my needs and expectations, mainly in terms of final quality of projects, either under ".exe" final files, or under HD video (.mp4) final files. This last option (.mp4) is really a very, very good option, highest quality (2 passes, H.264 format, high bitrates, etc.). I already made some slideshows and I got no failure at all, I never had the minimum problem. In fact, I never had the minimum technical problem with PTE in general, it shows a really good software. My best congratulations to creators and developpers! Next PTE generation for MAC users is a must, and I am glad you are working on it because I am sorry that my MAC friends can not have access to my actual PTE .exe files.

2. Now, is there any easy way to have control over number of downloads of our ".exe" files? Please, kindly let me know.

Regards,

Jose

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Jose

There is a box in the advanced tab of project options to time limit exe files. I haven't used it so can't comment. Not sure about hit limits.

Yachtsman1.

Jose,

May be Yachtsman already answered your question because I'm not sure to understand it.

Was your question "how many people dowloaded an exe file I share ?"

If it was your question, what you can do is to install a download system script written in PHP.

I suppose you have a web space where you can host your files and a database as well.

A lot of those scripts are free : http://www.hotscripts.com/category/php/scr...systems/page:1/

Hope it helps.

This thread is interesting me!

I would like very much to know who/how many times a PTE show is being downloaded from my web site. This 'PHP' thingy sounds like it is worth investigating but I know nothing about it.

Can someone explain just what it is all about pleaser?

Ron

Ron,

Try following the link Dom gave us and then:

- click on Current Location PHP link (top left)

- click on Tutorials & Tips (middle of page)

- click on Introduction to PHP (middle of page)

and explore from there.

regards,

Peter

P.S. I know nothing about PHP or creating web pages, but that's how I got into the basic information.

Jose,

May be Yachtsman already answered your question because I'm not sure to understand it.

Was your question "how many people dowloaded an exe file I share ?"

If it was your question, what you can do is to install a download system script written in PHP.

I suppose you have a web space where you can host your files and a database as well.

A lot of those scripts are free : http://www.hotscripts.com/category/php/scr...systems/page:1/

Hope it helps.

Thanks very much for your help.

In fact, my question is as you understood it: "How many people downloaded my "PTE.exe" files?

I followed the link you suggested, but I am sorry to say that such site is very misunderstanding...!

I tried to download several tutorials but none of them (free) was available to download!

However, I do not know how to deal with PHP and SQL, etc. etc., so I think that this method would be impossible for me!

My "PTE.exe" files are hosted in a server.

In my blog I have a link to each one of them, so people can click and download.

I wonder if there is some "pre-built" trick, ready to use, which we add to link indicated in blog, and when such link is clicked "something" counts 1 and 2 and 3, etc., writing this indication somewhere.

Hope to have good news about this!

Thanks and regards,

Jose

Hi Jose

If you use mediafire as your host, it records the number of hits.

Yachtsman1

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

In fact, I think that in my case I can not use Mediafire as a hosting service because I checked and I found it very slow (server must be located far away and download speeds are very poor). Besides, I opened an account and tried to make an upload, and for 3 times upload failed!

Anyhow, thanks for your help, and I keep trying to find an easy way to count the downloads of my "pte.exe" files.

Regards,

Jose

Jose,

I perfectly undesrtand what you would like to have. But I'm afraid I have bad news for you.

If I understand correctly, you use a ready to use blog (tool that your provider offers to his clients to use?).

Behind this blog, there is a script probably written in PHP.

If there is no download counter implemented by default in this script, it will be very difficult to add a counter. You would need pretty good skills in programming to know where to add the code needed to count.

And I suppose you do not even have access to the code ?

Could you give me more details about this blog you use ?

I am not very optimistic but I can have a look.

Hi Jose,

If I understand you correctly, I think you will be able to use this one:

http://wareseeker.com/Web-Development/clic...-3.5.zip/388270

It is about $15 USD but "should" do what you want - you can try it I think for free then purchase if it meets your needs. The developer doesn't say if it is compatible with XP or Vista, but it "probably" is because it sets on the server as I understand.

Also here is a free one which is a "pearl" script. If your server allows pearl scripts this should also work:

http://wareseeker.com/Network-Internet/Uni....03.zip/8040791

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

It seems those scripts can't be downloaded. :unsure:

At least, I can't, don't understand why. :blink:

Anyway, those scripts suppose you have access and can modify the code of your html pages to replace the original link by an other one provided by the script.

It works great for static pages (HTML) but can't be used for dynamic pages (PHP).

I just tried a script named ccount : it works perfectly and it is free : http://www.phpjunkyard.com/php-click-counter.php

I made the test with a link I provide on this forum and I can know the number of clicks for it.

It will work as well to know the number of downloads of a file.

Ron, I think your website is static. You should be able use this script very easily.

If your server supports PHP, there shouldn't be any problem.

The readme file is very easy to understand and to add a link takes only seconds.

If some of you want me to count the number of clicks for a link to a file they provide on this forum, it will be a pleasure for me to add their link.

I will give them the password to the admin panel to be able to know the number of downloads for their file.

Hi Dom,

I'm not sure what the problem was with the links - I could download them O.K., but the one you linked to works fine.

One thing users may have issues with is setting the file permissions. Not all FTP software allows setting permissions via right click. In case someone tries this and isn't successful, you can always download the freeware FileZilla FTP software which "does" let you right click on a file located on the server and change permissions.

There are two files in those included in your link (clicks.txt & ids.txt) which must have read/write permissions (666 in a Linux server). One can just right click on the file name with FileZilla and then left click on File Permissions and enter the numeric 666 to set proper permissions for these two files.

The set-up is pretty simple for those with familiarity with this, but one thing to remember is that when a link is put into the Admin Panel, that link is "NOT" the one to be used for the click link to the file. Go down and read carefully the block marked "Usage" to get the proper link syntax.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

It seems those scripts can't be downloaded. :unsure:

At least, I can't, don't understand why. :blink:

You could also try http://beechbrook.com/upload/ but I'm not sure if they count hits.

Yachtsman1

I know this doesn't help with obtaining any code... however as general information to all, on Beechbrook.Com the management of file download counts (as well as such items as Author's Notes, Private Notes, URL locations, Image files locations, etc.) are all handled through a combination of ASP code and a server dynamic Access database. The code was specifically written for Beechbrook.Com.

Regards,

Bill

Hi, all of you who really helped me a lot!

I thank you all very much!

I can count all clicks, at last!

I choosed "PHP CLICK COUNTER" from "PHPJunkyard.com - Free PHP scripts" (suggested by THEDOM), and it is really very easy to install and manipulate.

My blog is a Blogger blog, nothing special It is dedicated to family videos and slideshows.

Host server is located in Lisbon, Portugal, as all my viewers are mainly located here and this way everybody can get very high download speeds (around 4,8 Mbps), allowing high video bitrates and good video quality.

To deal with host server I use a software "FLASH FXP v 3.6.0" which permits a very easy access to all properties, including CHMOD attributes, as required to install PHP CLICK COUNTER.

Best regards,

Jose