WnSoft Forums

File named WnSoftFolderInfo has been created

fh1805

Hi Igor,

I've been doing some much needed "housekeeping" on my hard-drives (deleting files and folders that I no longer need) and have noticed that I have some files called WnSoftFolderInfo in some of the folders that I have used to build AV sequences. The oldest such file is dated 26 July 2005 and the most recent is dated 7 February 2009. There is at least one such file from each year from 2005 through 2009.

I'm not unduly alarmed since I'm assuming they were produced by diagnostic/debug routines that you had left in some of the various beta levels.

I'm just alerting you to this situation in case you've left some debug routines active in the definitive release.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

PicturesToExe (main program) since v4.30 automatically creates this hidden file WnSoftFolderInfo.ini when you at least one time rotate an image in Slide list or in File list. The file is one for all images in that folder.

The content of this file looks like:

[picture19.jpg]

RotationAngle=1

[picture16.jpg]

RotationAngle=1

If you delete this file and then open some project which used one of these rotated images you will see that images have lost rotation information.

Since v5.xx there is another way to rotate images - use Objects and animation editor. And information about rotation will be stored in a project file. Also rotation in Objects and animation editor performs by video card (in fact for free). If you rotate images in Slide list (File list) it takes additional although short CPU time (10-50 ms) to load such image.

Peter,

The WnSoftFolderInfo.ini files are created when you do some specific functions as file rename, Image rotation, as some other functions when right-clicking the slide image within the slide list. These are instructions to PTE program how to use the image from the folder.

Igor,

Thanks for the explanation. The contents are of the kind you describe. But I'm still baffled.

Your explanation suggests to me that only images rotated in Slide List or File Panel will cause these files to be created.

But I have never rotated images inside PTE except via Objects & Animation. So I don't understand why these files exist on my system.

regards,

Peter

P.S. I understand why it is that I see these files when other folks don't. A couple of weeks ago I had "lost" a file and activated "Show system and hidden files" in order to track it down. These are "Hidden" files, aren't they?.

Stu/Igor,

Having now spent some time reviewing the contents of these files I can accept that each of the images mentioned was, at some stage, renamed within PTE. I'm now happy that I understand:

- why the files were created in the first place

- why only certain specific image files were mentioned

- why it is only recently that I have become aware of them

I think the aspect that was really puzzling me was that I could not explain to myself why only some of my sequences had one of these files and why only certain slides got a mention. I couldn't see any pattern to the existence of the files or to their contents. But now I can. And it makes sense.

Thanks, both of you.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

Many software products create similar hidden files in a folder with images.

Windows Explorer creates Thumbs.db file when you turn on Thumbnails view in the Explorer.

Picasa creates Picasa.ini file.

Probably you didn't see WnSoftFolderInfo.ini file because it is always hidden file. And normally Windows Explorer doesn't show hidden files.

Regarding renaming. You're right - WnSoftFolderInfo.ini was created after this operation. I think it is a small bug which I've missed. Because no need to do it in case of renaming.

Peter,

I usually dont perform functions that would create the WnSoftFolderInfo.ini files.

I have not tested Create Backup Zip when using WnSoftFolderInfo.ini files in a long awhile ... but I believe the WnSoftFolderInfo.ini files still may not be included in the backup package. You would need to test ... and verify.

This is something to be aware of when sending backup packages to other users for use. They may lack some specific image instructions as rotation.

Stu,

You were absolutely correct, Create backup in ZIP doesn't include the hidden file.

Igor,

From what you have said in your posts above, this hidden file seems to be essential in certain circumstances. Shouldn't it therefore be included in the ZIP?

regards,

Peter

... this hidden file seems to be essential in certain circumstances. Shouldn't it therefore be included in the ZIP ...

Peter,

A simple test shows that you are right: Open a new project, insert a slide and rotate the corresponing image in the file panel. Export the project as a zip-file. Open the zipped project on another machine, or open it on the same machine after having changed the path to the original images. In the (former) zipped project the said image obviously is to be seen without rotation.

Regards,

Xaver