WnSoft Forums

Problem with AVI files

I have recently been getting an annoying problem with AVI files created with PTE. Whenever I click on the saved AVI, the Data Execution Protection kicks in and closes down the file. The file also closes when I Right Click on it. This means that I am unable to delete the file. The only answer I have found, is to disable DEP in the Control Panel and I reckon that might cause even more problems for me!

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem correctly? (Brian Conflow, are you reading this?)

Regards,

Ron

Ron,

1) It was a virtual AVI file?

2) What version of Windows you use?

3) Did you experience the same problem with MP4 video output (new feature of v5.6) ?

4) Please could you tell more - how it worked before this issue with same DEP option?

Hi Ronnie,

I have just returned home having been away on business for the past week. I see you have a problem with DEP and an AVI file

and I also note that Igor had responded to your problem with a series of questions...PC Type & Op.System etc, which I would

have asked anyway. Igor has asked are you trying to 'delete' a Virtual File which is different from a de-facto real File.

There are many types of 'Virtual Files' ~ mostly they are scripts of one form or another which may activate DEP.

Also DEP can be activated by a File which is too large for the Recycle Bin and it can also be activated by an non-existant File

which has registered itself into the File-of-Types listings in the Registry which could cause conflict with another real File of the

same name. (Its difficult to know which is which).

At this stage its too soon to give advice as you have not given enough detail to work on ~ but for what its worth I think your

PC is looking for a 'Containing-Folder' for a non-existant Avi File or is seeing a Dat-File pointing to non-existing Images.

If you know the saved 'Title of Avi' you could do a 'Start'--->Search--->AVI Title--->then see does it exist and where it is,

then Rh-Click to get its properties. If its less than 1.Kb simply Rh-Click on it and select delete.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

Igor,

Ron,

1) It was a virtual AVI file?

Reply: No, I created the file using 'Camtasia Studio' and saved it to my desktop.

2) What version of Windows you use?

Reply: Windows XP pro with Service Pack 3

3) Did you experience the same problem with MP4 video output (new feature of v5.6) ?

Reply: I have not yet tried MP4 with 5.6 - will have a look later.

4) Please could you tell more - how it worked before this issue with same DEP option?

Reply: I have never had the same problem with AVI before. However, I have just recently upgraded mt computer system and intalled lated operating system.

At the moment, I have disabled the DEP option and have successfully deleted the offending AVI file.

Brian:

Thanks for your comments. I will create a new AVI and try again (after I reactivate the DEP options.

Ron.

Ronnie,

This problem came up on the Forum some months ago and I had explained how DEP is activated and what it really is.

Unknown to most of us DEP has nothing to do with Microsoft ~ It was designed by Intel Corp and adopted by most PC

Manufacturers to protect their Microprocessors against 'Infinity Scripts'. These illegal instructions are used by Hackers

and are also accidentally created by innocent PC.Users who evoke a situation which the Processor can not resolve !!

In your situation it seems something happened to evoke the DEP protection, perhaps in the creation of the PTE Avi File or

trying to mix it into Camtasia Studio ??...I'm afraid only yourself can track that down.

Switching off DEP will have no short term effects once you clear the problem and switch-on again. However this does not

resolve how you accidentally created the problem in the 1st instance.

regards,

Brian.

Brian,

I understand what you are saying but unfortuneatly I cannot work out how to track down what I must have done to cause my problem.

I have now managed to delete the offending AVI, so will now switch on the DEP again and see what happens.

Ron

Ron,

I understand what you are saying but unfortuneatly I cannot work out how to track down what I must have done to cause my problem.

The AVI DEP issue of yours could be related to a specific codec/setting you are using to build the file. Are you using any new, updated, or different codec than you normally use ?

Try a different codec/setting to test for possible DEP issues.

Hi Nobeefstu,

Good point!

I think that my problem might be something to do with the fact that I recently downloaded a trial version of a conversion program and then used this to convert an mpeg 4 file to the offending AVI.

I have now deleted the trial converter program.

Ron