WnSoft Forums

Need help creating a mask

I have been trying, without success, to get the right dimensions for a mask. Just a bog standard rectangle mask with a cut out, to enable me to use the zoom function without seeing the edges of the image.

I set the size of my attempt at 3400 x2200 but it just doesnt cover the image or fill the screen, thus allowing me to zoom the image sucessfully. I'm fairly sure this is a basic question but I need to know what outside dimensions masks should be to fill the screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

TT.

edit: I realised I put this in the wrong section [Tutorials] Sorry.

Hello TT,

The size of your mask should be the resolution of your screen (I guess 1920x1200 or less).

The size of the cut out in this mask have to respect the ratio of your pictures (3:2 if I refer to your "Beamish" slideshow).

But what you could do is to use a PTE mask (mask container). You can use a rectangular mask too display your pictures "through" it.

It depends on what you're more confortable with.

See project attached to see what I mean :

- slide 1 : Mask done in Photoshop

- slide 2 : use of a mask container

The result is about the same but the mask container gives you much more flexibility.

If you finally decide you want the image to be bigger, with solution 2, it will take you seconds.

Project1_May16_2009_12_37_25.zip

Hello TT,

The size of your mask should be the resolution of your screen (I guess 1920x1200 or less).

The size of the cut out in this mask have to respect the ratio of your pictures (3:2 if I refer to your "Beamish" slideshow).

But what you could do is to use a PTE mask (mask container). You can use a rectangular mask too display your pictures "through" it.

It depends on what you're more confortable with.

See project attached to see what I mean :

- slide 1 : Mask done in Photoshop

- slide 2 : use of a mask container

The result is about the same but the mask container gives you much more flexibility.

If you finally decide you want the image to be bigger, with solution 2, it will take you seconds.

Hi Thedom,

Would you, or anyone, please explain, in simple terms, about PTE masks and their use?

I have looked at the demos, with a colored section, moving across a black and white photo,

and for the life of me, I can't comprehend why I would ever want to do that.

I looked at your beautiful demo above, and it looks like a frame to me.

Please, I'm sure, that I'm not alone in this confusion, a video tutorial, would even be better.

1. What is a mask?

2. What does a mask do?

3. Why would anyone use a mask?

4. Where does one get a mask?

5. Do you create a mask in Photoshop?

6. Can you create a mask in PTE?

7. Is there a difference when created in PS, or PTE?

8. What is a mask container?

9. How does one get a mask into the container?

10. Would you use more than one mask in the container?

11. What color is a mask?

12. what size is a mask?

13. Is a mask a PNG, jpeg, or something mystical?

14. Does the mask get used for the entire slideshow?

15. Can one import a mask from someone else?

16. Does one use a mask in a full screen show?

Please, this is for everyone that uses and understands masks, we need your help, to better

make use of this great program, please share your expertise.

Many thanks and best regards, Gayland.

Hi Gayland,

Hopefully, this will help a bit but to really understand masks you may want to experiment.

Hi Thedom,

Would you, or anyone, please explain, in simple terms, about PTE masks and their use?

I have looked at the demos, with a colored section, moving across a black and white photo,

and for the life of me, I can't comprehend why I would ever want to do that.

I looked at your beautiful demo above, and it looks like a frame to me.

Please, I'm sure, that I'm not alone in this confusion, a video tutorial, would even be better.

1. What is a mask?

In the relevant sense, a mask is an image which may be a PNG a JPG or even a GIF file which is "usually" black and white or it could be all white. Technically, a mask could be considered any images which hides or reveals part of an image. For example, if you use a colored or black or white rectangle or a PNG file to obscure part of an image or a portion of the display where there is no image it could be considered a mask, but for the purpose of this explanation it's a special file inside a mask container with another image which serves to obscure or reveal portions of the two or more images simultaneously.

2. What does a mask do?

It allows the user to reveal parts of the underlying image. That is, the image on the top layer can be made transparent in areas where the mask is white to allow the image on the bottom layer (the image which is in the container with the mask) to be revealed. In mask areas of black, the top layer is revealed while the bottom layer is hidden

This means you can see portions of two images (or possibly more than two images) simultaneously on your screen when the mask is used.

3. Why would anyone use a mask?

For various artistic reasons or to hide or reveal portions of the display

4. Where does one get a mask?

You can download them from various sites where others have already created them, or create them yourself.

5. Do you create a mask in Photoshop?

You may create them in Photoshop or other image manipulation software

6. Can you create a mask in PTE?

No, not really

7. Is there a difference when created in PS, or PTE?

See above

8. What is a mask container?

It's a feature of PTE or other software which automatically tells the software that the particular file (image) is to be used as a mask rather than just an image containing black and white areas

9. How does one get a mask into the container?

When you select and right click on an object in the Object List, one of the choices is to "add a mask." When you choose this and select the mask you want to use, the container is automatically created with your choice of mask inside.

10. Would you use more than one mask in the container?

Yes. PTE allows multiple masks inside a single container. To place additional masks inside the container highlight the container then click on the Properties tab in O&A and then on the "additional mask" tab and choose another mask

11. What color is a mask?

Usually black and white but it could be shades of grey which have variable transparency or opacity depending on the relative intensity of the black or white areas

12. what size is a mask?

It can be any size and in the case of a PNG mask, any shape

13. Is a mask a PNG, jpeg, or something mystical?

Nothing mystical. It may be a PNG, a JPEG or GIF, etc., PTE recognizes all three formats now

14. Does the mask get used for the entire slideshow?

It depends on what the user designs and the effect they want to create

15. Can one import a mask from someone else?

Of course

16. Does one use a mask in a full screen show?

It can be used on any show of any type

Please, this is for everyone that uses and understands masks, we need your help, to better

make use of this great program, please share your expertise.

Many thanks and best regards, Gayland.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gayland,

A long time ago when the "mask" feature was first introduced to PTE I made a brief tutorial which still may be of some use, you can download it here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7901

For my grandchildren, I made a little slideshow for Halloween last year which demonstrates some uses of masking. Actually, it uses masks to add and reveal real "face masks" on my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren. This is but one of an almost infinite way in which masking "could" be used for a slideshow. In any situation where you want to have a portion of an image change in real time but make the change happen as a "wipe" or similar effect but only on a "portion" of the image, a mask makes this very easy to do.

Let me explain a bit further. There are alternative ways to make this happen, but not in exactly the same manner. For example, if one were to create two almost identical pictures such as my picture of my daughter and son in law in the sample below, one wearing the face mask and one without. Then it would be possible to sequence these two images using a fade, etc., one right after the other and it would appear that the face mask was fading in or fading out. But if the user wanted the face mask to appear from one side or the other of the face and seem to be painted on a bit at a time, then using a mask makes much more sense. Let's further assume that it might be desirable to have an effect such as moving a magnifying glass over an image and having that portion under the glass appear "magnified." Then using masking makes perfect sense and is the only effective way to get this effect.

This would be done by using a zoomed image within the "mask container" which would be a duplicate of the image outside the container but zoomed in. The "mask," in this case would be a circular white PNG object sized and positioned to fit the circle of the magnifying glass and made a "child" of the magnifying glass so that when the instrument is moved across the subject the "mask" moves in perfect synchronization. Everywhere the mask goes, that portion of the underlying "zoomed" image is revealed so that it appears as if the magnifying glass is actually "magnifying" that portion of the main image beneath it. In reality, the magnifying glass lens (i.e., the mask) is "revealing" the underlying zoomed image. The mask feature makes this illusion possible, etc.

Halloween demo:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sample/halloween.zip

Just to the magnifying glass demo:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sampl...yingdemoexe.zip

Here's a link to the mask demo using a variety of masking :

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/sampl...demorevised.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you all for the help and explinations about masks. I now realise that my understanding of what a mask is, is totally different to what it is in the programme. Dom's reply is what I understood a mask to be. An image in front of another with an aperature through which the image behind can be zoomed or rotated without showing the edges.

I now see that I have to rethink my understanding of this programme. <_< . I downloaded all the tut's linked above and now actually understand a lot more than I did, so thank you all for that. I'm off on a short 3 day trip tomorrow and hope to come back with enough material to create my entry for the CC selection in September. So get ready for loads of questions. :lol:

Andrew.

Hi Lin, Trailertrash, and Barry, thanks for the excelent replies, and examples.

I will now take all your info, and try and hash this mask thing out.

I was sure I was not alone in this mask confusion, and the traffic on the subject confirms it.

Andrew, thanks for starting this much needed thread.

Thanks again, to all who participated, Gayland.